Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cu_gardener

How much to water new xeriscape plants in heat

cu_gardener
17 years ago

Hi,

This is my first season of gardening in the CO front range. I bought my house in spring and was so busy with moving, etc, that I missed out on the spring planting. Thus, I have been putting plants in the ground during the summer heat.

Despite the daily 90+ heat here this summer, most everything (nepeta, sea foam art., yarrow, grasses, russian sage, penstemon, agastache, lavander, sedum and other succulents, etc) has recovered from the intial shock and is doing well. I started weaning certain plants off the "getting established" watering plan a few weeks ago.

I really want to be a true xeriscaper, and promote deep root growth and conserve water. I have been providing extra water due to the persistant heat, the planting site (very sunny, hot due to gravel mulch, well draining due to a slope, and a bit windy too) and the youth of the plants.

However, I worry that I am watering too much and the desired deep roots won't develop. The plants don't seem to mind the water, and the growth definitely slows (and the plants sometimes brown) when I don't water as much.

What would you recommend as the proper watering schedule and water amount? I have religiously studied the care guides for each plant but I know those guidelines don't account for conditions I named above.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comment (1)