Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me identify a tree

Posted by jaeeks 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 21, 04 at 16:25

I recently moved into a home that has the strangest looking tree. I can't seem to find any information on it so far.

Characteristics:

It's about 6 feet tall with a long, slender, smooth, green trunk. It branches out into vertical string bean looking bunches. It almost looks like a succulent of some sort. It hasn't flowered and I don't know if it will. It was dormant when I moved in and started growing the "string bean" looking things around May.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me identify a tree

I am intrigued. You really should try to get a picture posted for us in order to aid in identifying.

o

May be a Palo Verde. Cercidium. Hard on people with allergies and asthma.

o

Desert Willow? IF the house is new and the planting relative new the tree has a long way to go. Gets huge. We had one that lifted our block fence after about 5 years. It sheds pods and 'strings' profusely. Messy.

o

Thank you for all your responses so far. When looking further into the Palo Verde suggestion and pictures of them it sounded right until the description mentioned thorns - this one has no thorns. Do they have a thornless version? Also, I can't really tell whether it is going to flower...it doesn't look like it so far.

The desert willow decription says it has bark and brown leaflets...no bark, no brown. It's all green.

I'll try to get a picture posted.

This tree is potted in a very large pot

o

Could it be a pencil euphorbia? Or a bottle tree, maybe? Try a Google search in the Images section for those two.

o
RE: Please help me identify a tree - Finally identified!

THAT'S IT! It's a Pencil Euphorbia! Thank you EileenAZ for helping me identify it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here