Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oyster123_gw

Searching for Palo Verde 'Desert Museum'

Oyster123
18 years ago

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have searched in vain for this particular Palo Verde. Do any of you know of a nursery in the area (70 mile radius from Concord) that carries this particular tree?

Thanks,

Oyster

Concord, CA

Comments (12)

• barbeehd
    18 years ago

I got mine at Home Depot, but I am in AZ, Phoenix area where they sell them all over the place.

• Oyster123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Barbeehd,

Here in Northern California, they're as rare as hen's teeth. I couldn't even get a well-heeled nursery to order one for me.

Such is life,
    Oyster

• monocot
    18 years ago

How cold-hardy are they? Would they take z7/8?

• scrub_sage
    18 years ago

Purchased two 15-gal Desert Museum Palo Verdes at Home Depot while visiting my sister in Surprise, Arizona last weekend. Home Depots in my hot/dry area of southern Calif. do not stock native desert plants. Such a shame.

• alexander_robinson_gmail_com
    17 years ago

You can find them in a couple places in Southern California, though it can be pricey in the LA Area.

California cactus center in pasadena sells 15 gallons for $250 or so for 15 gal! Over $400 for a 24" box!!

626-795-2788

Mountain States Nursery in AZ
    Supplies them to California and the region and might know where you can find them in your area.

Tropic World Nursery sells them for more reasonable amounts, but is in Escondido.
    760-746-6108

• desertlvr
    17 years ago

I don't know where to get the Desert Museum hybrid, but if you want a Mexican Palo Verde, also called Jerusalem Thorn (Parksonia aculeata), which is one of the parent species of the Desert Museum, you can get a nice sized one 15 gal for $65.00 at Neon Palm Nursery in Santa Rosa and also in Vacaville. These are beautiful trees too, but have some leaf litter in winter (something that the Desert Museum does not do). Good luck. dl

Here is a link that might be useful: Palm Island Nursery Outlet

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Anyone know where to get a desert museum?

Also any idea hoe much they she'd in coastal Los Angeles. It's for a house in long beach

I've heard this hybrid sheds less pods. But also that it sheds lots of flowers. Anyone know or suggest anything about this.

Do u recommend? Long beach is hot and dry a lot of the year

Sorry on iPhone for typos

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I don't know how they'd do in your area, and cannot help you for sourcing, sorry.

I'm planning to plant one in my yard in April, but they are easy to get in my area (El Paso TX).

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

I have 3 of them in my yard. Bought them all from Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, CA. They usually have lots of them for sale during the Fall Planting Festival each November. Five gallons and 15 gallons. I bought them in 5 gallon size because they grow pretty fast.

The RSABG's Claremont nursery, GNN Claremont, is closed for the year until the Fall Planting Festival, but the other location GNN Westwood stays open year round. I just checked the most recent plant availability list for GNN Westwood and don't see any Desert Museums in stock. I've posted the link below (and they have a Facebook page). You could contact them and request a special order though.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: RSABG Plant Availability

• barbhed
    9 years ago

The Desert Museum in my backyard has suffered through many monsoon winds and has broken alot of branches. In addition, it is very very messy with yellow flowers that clog my neighbor's pool and she hates the tree. It's beautiful in a parking lot but not for a subdivision where homes are close together. Also it grows like a weed here in AZ and I am always trimming it or hiring someone.

• Julie Maddox
    9 years ago

I found the hybrid thornless Desert Museum Palo Verde at Luis' Nursery in Visalia, Ca for $100.

• Tiffany Ton
    8 years ago

I found mine at Armstrong gardens in Southern California for 15 gallon. I really like it, it's a beautiful tree.