Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
superman9138

Oleander

superman9138
19 years ago

I saw some Pink Nerium Oleander at HD, one gallon size, 12 bucks, How hardy are these things here in Albuquerque? do they grow fast? any info would be appreciated, thanks

Comments (14)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

I don't know about Albuquerque ... out here they are tuff as nails .. the dwarf variety though is more sensative to cold ...

Good Day ...

• cactus_dude
    19 years ago

I've seen a lot them around town, so I think they are actually pretty hardy here. They are super tough plants, so even if they die back a little this winter, I'm sure you'll see new growth next spring. Good luck.

• trancegemini_wa
    19 years ago

hello, Im not sure about your climate, but oleander are terrific in sunbaked conditions, the hotter and drier it gets the happier they are!

• bigbear1
    19 years ago

Years ago I ultimately had to dump gasoline on an oleander to kill it. I had been trying to get rid of it for some time and couldn't kill it.

• Maccumba
    19 years ago

BigBear, ha, you have to dig those boogers up. I have seen oleanders trained to grow as tree's and they look very pretty that way, but just as bushes I don't like them either. Be careful when burning oleander's though, here in Phoenix we had some bum's that burned some oleander to keep warm and they died from the toxicity of the smoke. Not only is oleander poisonous apparently the smoke is equally as bad. They were in open air too, just sitting round it as one would sit round a fire.

• trancegemini_wa
    19 years ago

oleander is poisonous but it is very bitter so it would be very hard to eat enough of it and actually keep it down. by the way you should NEVER burn oleander branches or leaves, the smoke is very poisonous!

• palmpunk
    18 years ago

I have heard that oleanders are hardy to about 10 to 15 degrees F. I have a large red oleander bush (potted) that we bring into the garage every winter. Last winter we left it out until the middle of december, and low temps got down to 18 degrees and a few of the leaves had minor leafburn. Does anyone know if it is possible to overwinter these in Zone 6 as a die-back perennial?

• lion
    18 years ago

I'd like to add that even small cuttings can be rooted in water or wet dirt.

Once the roots are established, it will be a fast grower anywhere that stays wet. The neighbors' privacy hedge grows high enough to reach the power lines.

• Crumpet
    18 years ago

Actually they do grow here in protected areas. Nix the valley and mountains, but most warmer spots withing the city are fine. Granted, when we get a subzero winter you may lose it, but until then you have an interesting shrub.

• rbrandt2
    18 years ago

I had to replace a nerium oleander early this spring because the winter was too cold and windy for where is was planted. I went back to HD and got a nice replacement about March/April. When it bloomed, I found out the tag was wrong - it was a georgious WHITE - but it didn't match the others - all pink.

Back to HD in early June. They were very nice. Had another shipment, this time in bloom. Only problem was that all were VERY limp. (5 gal pots, almost 4 feet tall) No choice, thought it would recover. Six weeks later the original stems still won't support their own weight. New growth (12"-15" in the last sixs weeks) seems strong.

Any way to stiffen it up? or should I prune most of it back? It's had suffucient water.

thanx!

• azamigo
    18 years ago

Plants will grow leggy and limp if they are grown close together as they are in nurserys. Just prune the bush back until it can standup by itself. Oleanders are VERY tough plants-feel free to prune them however you want at anytime.

• catherine-garden
    17 years ago

Will they grow here in Elizabeth City, NC?
    Catherine

• tweedbunny
    17 years ago

I strongly recommend against Oleander because of how poisonous they are. Children, rabbits, dogs, and grazing cows have been killed by consuming (even in small amounts) this plant. There are plenty of other choices.

• queencrimson
    16 years ago

I live in Longview Texas (7b) and there are large oleanders all over town that are unafected by the winters here. We've had cold spells with temps near 10f at night and 20f in day for several days.

Last fall I bought a Petite Pink and planted it in a semi-protected spot, but it died completely. It was slow to sprout but finally has a profusion of growth from the base of the stems.

I'm curious to see if it blooms and when. Am disappointed it's so tender because I don't have room for the hardy large variety.

Sponsored