Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble with Evergreen Arbovitae

Posted by rathagos Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 20:50

I live in West Texas which is very close to a desert climate. Temperatures vary throughout the year from teens in the winter to 100's in the summer.

Three months ago, I planted 4 6-7' Evergreen Arbovitaes. They were planted about 9-10' apart. The first one died within a month. The other three have been fine for the three months, but now all seem to be dying. The leaves/needles are turning yellow, but there is still some green.

My soil is calichy with red clay. I dug a hole for each approximately 2' deep by 3-4' wide. After loosening the root ball, we filled the remaining hole with 90 percent tree and shrub soil.

Because the weather has changed and gotten hotter (about 10-15 degrees) than the previous three months, we have been watering everyday, sometimes twice a day, thinking the plants were initially dying due to lack of water with the increased heat. It has been 4-5 days and there has been no improvement.

Please help!!!! I don't want them all to die. How can I save them?!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble with Evergreen Arbovitae

I believe arborvitae are best planted in fall or winter, during cooler conditions. They must be kept moist whilst they are taking root. I suspect that they like acid conditions, but am not sure of that. You could put a few handfuls of peat moss down on top of the soil and water it in. If you kept your receipt, you might be able to return the trees which died for a refund.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here