Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_richardson3946

Anyone else growing a Don Gillogly Avocado Tree

Barbara Richardson
14 years ago

Bought my tree from Roger's Gardens about 4 1/2 years ago. Was told it wouldn't grow taller than 8 to 12 feet and could be grown in a barrel. Well....tree did horribly in a barrel, so I planted it in the ground last year. It grew about 8 feet and then a second shoot starting growing and is about 14 feet now! Are these trees supposed to have two trunks?

Also this is the first time the tree has produced fruit. Most of the avocados fell off, but I have about 5 left on the tree. They've been there for about 4 months...how do I know when to pick them?

Called Roger's Gardens to ask about the tree, and was told they didn't know much about them...like how big did they really get...or how much fruit do they really produce? (Since they are the ones selling this tree, this is really disappointing to me. I also notice that they didn't seem to have any last time I was there.)

So is anyone else trying to grow this tree and are they having much luck? I really REALLY wanted a dwarf tree as I have a small backyard. Is this thing going to grow into a giant and am I even going to have more than two to three avocados a year?

Would love to hear from anyone else who has this tree. Thanks

Sponsored