Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stinky NM bush?

Posted by Bellingham z8 WA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 05 at 22:44

This is one of those "drive you crazy" things. I used to live in the South Valley of Albuquerque, and I recall a tree or shrub that grew along the ditch banks that smelled sort of rotten/sweet. Very strong scent. I found it not very pleasant. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, and I never did determine where the smell came from, so I don't know what it looked like.

Any Albuquerqeans care to guess? This stuff was all over the Bosque.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stinky NM bush?

The smell's never seemed all that strong to me, but skunk bush seems likely. "Skunk bush" is a name actually used for two separate, unrelated species, both of which happen to smell bad and have compound leaves with three leaflets... one of them, Rhus trilobata, is related to poison ivy and is usually fairly short (4-5 feet at most), with deeply toothed/lobed leaflets. The other, Ptelea trifoliata, is related to oranges, has entire or very shallowly toothed leaflets, and can get 10-15 feet tall. To my nose, the Ptelea is reasonably strongly scented if you've got a good stand of them, but the Rhus' scent is pretty weak. I haven't spent much time in the Albuquerque area, so I don't have any idea which, if either, of these would be common along ditches in the area.

Patrick Alexander

o

Thanks, Patrick. I'm not sure. I keep thinking that it might be Russian Olive, but all the descriptions I read say, "pleasant scent." It's not that it's an immediately horrible smell, so I don't think it would have the common name "skunk" for example. It's sort of like Ligustrum on steroids. Not really bad, but not really good either. Definately strong.

o

Ah. Yeah, Russian olive fits that kind of description of the smell. The best examples of that kind of smell I can think of offhand would be chestnut and Bradford pear trees, but I can't think of any reason either of those would be in ditches near Albuquerque.

Patrick Alexander

o

If Russian Olive smells like my description, then I'll bet that is it. Apparently, it is an invasive species in NM, and it does invade the Bosque, particularly near the ditch banks and river.

I'm still puzzled by the descriptions I've seen on the internet, calling it "pleasant," but I suppose smell is a subjective thing.

o

I personally hate the fragrance of blooming Russian olive, so I would give you that one. I'm also allergic to the pollen, as are many, so consider it a doubly noxious invasive species. Another invader that blooms is tamarisk, but I don't recall what the fragrance is like, nor do I recall the foilage being scented.

Catherine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here