Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_in_vegas

Purple Fountain Grass not blooming

jill_in_vegas
17 years ago

Okay, what am I doing wrong? My PFG is in its 3rd year, and didn't produce the purple plumes as in the 1st two years. Am I overwatering? I'm on drip, watering 20 minutes 3 times a week during the hot months. July was brutal, as you all know.

Does it need to be divided so soon? Any help would be great.

Also having trouble with lavender, which has bloomed continually for two years, then nothing.

Comments (6)

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

I have not grown these plants. You might try posting in the Navada forum.
    Good luck!
    Happy gardening

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

Sorry about the spelling.
    Try the Nevada forum.

• subdude
    17 years ago

Three years?
    Hmm- I dunno. I'm in Phoenix. We live in an older part of the city that has flood irrigation. We get water twice a month during hot months.

During July & August, I watered additionally also--each pfg has it's own little basin around it, and i would flood it every 3-4 days. I have read that it is possible to overwater these, but the more water I give them, the bigger they seem to get.
    I planted them in early May, and they must have started showing plumes in....mid- August. They are getting really almost too big, and need cut back now.

I would treat them to some more water! while making sure that they are in full sun, so they don't get root rot.

Hope this helps :)

• port_a_bella
    17 years ago

maybe they need to be divided??? i dunno... good luck.

• Creme
    17 years ago

This is a test post

• cinder77
    10 years ago

I am having the same problem here in colorado where purple fountain grass is an annual. I have successfully grown these before here in Colorado but in my location in the western slope some are not flowering. I have 5 and two are flowering and three are not. They all are in full sun and they all get water 2-3x/week. It's strange and I can't figure it out. Is that too much water?
    If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH