Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lornasgrandma2000

MBOP grown in a pot??

lornasgrandma2000
17 years ago

Hi All,

I visited my dad in Tucson and he had the most amazing bush growing in his front yard. It was the Mexican Bird of Paradise. SOOO of course when I got home I decided I needed one of them. I live in central Illinois and I was thinking that our winters are too harsh for them to be planted outside all winter. Now I have a lovely little bush. It's about 18 inches tall and nicely full and green. My question is-- what requirements does the mbop need in the house grown in a pot????

I'd appreciate all and any help. I was just so taken with this lovely plant in Arizonia. I do so hope to be able to care for this one I have and help it grow into a lovely house plant. Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)

• ankraras
    17 years ago

As you probably already know that often this plant loses all of it's leaves during the cold winter. It will thrive indoors for a good while
    providing good strong light and a warm location. Let the soil go almost dry between watering during indoor growing.

Once the weather gets warm I would let the plant grow outdoors in a full sun location. You want to make sure the plant will not loose
    it's vigor especially when lacking fresh air and natural sunlight which the plant also needs to abundantly produce those lovely blooms.

Over all it is a very easy plant.

{{gwi:271914}}

• lornasgrandma2000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Arkraras,
    I have the plant in a south window right now. Will that be enough light for it??? Especially in the short sun hours of our winters here in Illinois??? I can move it to another window that will allow me to use a plant light if that will work better??? I also could take it to my plant room and hang a light right on it if that would be a help too. All the other plants will be returning to their winter home in my plant room so that could be a better idea-- what do you think???
    Now I didn't even think of it until someone said something to me but would catus soil be a better medium for the bop??? I repotted it in miracle grow soil when I got it because that was all I had and like I say it never occured to me that I should be using catus soil. What are your thoughts on that???
    I wasn't really expecting any blooms during the winter and do intend to take it outside after the last frost here. All my other plants get carted out too so I knew this one would appreciate it.
    I appreciate your help. I just fell in love with this plant while in Tucson. I took picture after picture of it. I can not get over the wonderful colors the blooms have. Just goregous!!! Thanks again!!!

• ankraras
    17 years ago

Ah... Soil..... Everybody has their personal experience in growing success. I enjoy taking the time to observe their remarkable experience
    of growing expectation then experiment, adapt or make changes that work out best for me.

Personally, I did not find Caesalpinia to be particular about it's soil. My experience has been that there are three main components that are
    vital for good growing success;- healthy soil, proper method of watering and good strong sunlight. I can remember encountering a soil mix that
    was lacking nutrients and a little organic component that was moisture absorbent. The plant still performed accordingly but poorly. You are in
    a cooler climate zone and will have to bring it in during the winter. With so many soils to choose from, it might be necessary to add drainage
    material into the soil to keep the mix light and open. I would also make sure to select a container that has several good sized drainage holes
    which allow for free drainage.

Why not observe the plant in your idea location? It has a way of letting you know where it would be the happiest. Just have fun with it.

This gorgeous plant is also much favored by hummingbirds! I am glad you like it.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor