Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources for Mahonia trifoliolata?

Posted by pasadena z6-7WA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 12:15

Just got back from a trip to Guadalupe Mtns. National Park where I fell in love with Mahonia trifoliolata. The intense blue foliage would be a great complement for the garden. It will probably not make it here in the ground, but would in containers. The only problem is there was no fruit to collect (outside the national park of course), and I've been unable to find mail-order sources. It appears to be otherwise fairly available from many native plant nurseries.

Please, any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources for Mahonia trifoliolata?

I have agarita growing wild on my land and I am always digging it up when I want to expand a bed. I might have one in a pot right now, but if I am to dig one up, I need to wait till it is a bit cooler. I can send you seed but that would be much later,...next year. I also have Texas barberry, a relative that intergrades with it. It gets quite a bit larger.

o

On my trip I picked up several hundred acorns of a variety of species and hybrids in New Mexico. Are you interested in oaks? I still need to finish IDing them, but if you know of species you'd like let me know, and I'll see if I have them. I know I at least have lots of Harvard's, gray, and gray crossed on who knows.

When it gets cooler, perhaps you could just scoop a Mahonia into a large freezer bag and send it. I can provide a box with postage.

o

You sure it'll be happy in your neighborhood?

Here is a link that might be useful: mahonia info

o

Thanks for your concern. It may stay in a container, where it would be one of many SW natives we grow in a pot, and it will complement the NW Mahonias, which are trying to take over our landscaping.

I really enjoyed my recent visit to your corner of paradise!

Here is a link that might be useful: A few pictures from my NM road trip

o

DG plant files has M triloliolata hardy to 0 degrees. The distribution maps do not have it growing north of the Guadalupe mountains in New Mexico. What Zone are you in? Mahonia haematocarpa or red berry Mahonia might be a better match and it is a striking blue also. It is hardy to z5 and distribution maps have it growing into southern Colorado and Nevada. and available at High Country Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mahonia haematocarpa

o

Our micro-climate is a marginal zone 7. The USDA chart tells us 5. However, our minimums have dropped below 0 on only five nights total in the last ten winters, and we have many plants that would be killed by zone 5 winters.

Actually I have haematocarpa seed stored in the fridge; just haven't tried it yet. I'll consider your suggestion.

o

Email me if you want the agarita.- mara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here