Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactus_dude

Help! I'm moving from Tucson to Santa Fe

cactus_dude
15 years ago

Are there any folks in Santa Fe who collect cacti, succulents and palms? My wife and I will soon be moving there from Tucson, and as much as I love Santa Fe, I'm concerned about my plants. I know I will need a greenhouse, but going from the balmy Sonoran Desert to the high country of Santa Fe will surely have an effect on some of my plants. For one thing, the growing season is a lot shorter in SF, not to mention the incredibly cold winter lows.

In addition to my cacti, I have palms, olive trees and citrus, as well as many subtropicals, including caudiciforms from Africa, etc. I hate to get rid of a lot of my plants, but I just don't think SF is the right place for them. Like I said, I plan on having a greenhouse, but heating costs are going to be an issue too.

Any advice? Thanks,

cd

Comments (4)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Believe it or not, it is much more difficult to cool a greenhouse than to heat one. Most "tropical plants and tender plants" can survive night time temps. of 55 degrees, so you need not OVER heat the house during the winter. Cooler temps. hold more water, higher relative humidity, which is good for your plants, than warmer air. You will probably be heating with a force air furnace, hot dry air, which creates problems.

• fabaceae_native
    15 years ago

Hi Cactus Dude,

I thought you just recently moved to Tucson from Albuquerque? Well, I understand your fears about your tender plants, and I wish Santa Fe were a bit milder than it is, although I do love the climate here overall.

I will try to assuage your fears in any event... first, Santa Fe is really only one zone colder than many parts of Albuquerque (2,000 feet elevation difference corresponds to 10 degrees of temperature difference, the difference that 50 miles north makes is neglible). Yes, on record is some extreme cold, just as in Albuquerque, but don't believe anyone who tries to convince you that Santa Fe is colder than ZONE6. The AVERAGE annual minimum is certainly not colder than -10! Last winter for example, was a very cold winter here even for old-timers, and the lowest we reached (on two mornings) was -4. Otherwise the lowest I had seen here was -2. I would say that 0 degrees is the most appropriate design low temperature for lanscaping here in Santa Fe. Even many plants listed as being hardy to 10 degrees have been thriving here for years.

Many of your more cold-hardy succulents and cacti will probably be fine outside with southern exposure and appropriate drainage. I have a beautiful cactus and succulent bed along a south wall of my house, with many species from the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts. I also grow a few more tender cacti (saguaro, peruvian cereus, orchid cactus) as well as numerous tropical fruits in an entryway sunroom.

One more thing, don't worry about heating costs. A well designed greenhouse should certainly not need supplemental heat in Santa Fe! Even those plastic-covered hoop houses grow cool season crops throughout the winter with no supplemental heating. By well designed I mean that it should have enough insulation compared to glazing (the north wall needs no glass after all) as well as heat storage to hold the warmth of the day. If even a slight dip below 32 would spell disaster for your plants, (which I doubt) you can easily throw in a small electric heater for those rare cold AND cloudy times.

Anyway, good luck with the relocation process!

• desertlvr
    15 years ago

Hey Cactus Dude --- I nearly bought some plants from you when you moved from Albuquerque to Tucson. I was thinking about picking up your Mediterranean fan from your father-in-law's place, but never got around to it
    Anyway, have you relocated to Santa Fe yet? Still have plants to sell? Best, DL

• cactus_dude
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your help, everyone. I didn't realize I hadn't responded to my own post!

desertlvr: I still have that palm you were interested in. I'll be back in NM beginning in December, so let me know if you're still interested. I may also have other plants to sell.

Thanks again,

cd

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA