Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adp_abq

best time to transplant creosote bush

adp_abq
17 years ago

The general consensus is that trees/shrubs are best transplanted in the fall. How about desert shrubs? specifically creosote bush? Am I better off transplanting (from a container) in the spring right before growing season? Does it matter?

Comments (17)

• paalexan
    17 years ago

Well, "the growing season" for a creosote is "whenever there's water". If you planted in spring, you'd be doing the equivalent of planting a tree in fall--planting right before the normal dormant season--since we usually don't get any appreciable rain from March through most of June. Creosote is such an aseasonal plant that I'd be kinda surprised if it mattered, though.

Patrick Alexander

• adp_abq
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the respone Patrick. It seems no native plant nursery here in albuquerque has them until spring anyway so I'll have to wait until then. Until then I got some seeds to try and get them to germinate and grow over winter. If that doesn't work out I'll just buy some 1 gallon size in the spring.

• paalexan
    17 years ago

I've heard the seeds germinate very easily, though I haven't tried yet. Apparently these guys rely on putting out lots of seeds every year and hoping eventually some of them get good conditions, rather than so many other desert plant that have seeds specialized for remaining dormant for long periods of time, waiting for a good year...

Patrick Alexander

• adp_abq
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Update:

I plan on buying 1 gallon containers of creosote bush this month as they become available in the nurseries. I am wondering how much to water them the first season. Most natives I've transplanted from container establish well when I watered once a week the first summer. Although I hear that creosote bush is sensitive to too much water can kill it. Any guidelines on establishing creosote bush from someone who has successfully done it?

• desertlvr
    17 years ago

Every 7-10 days will be ok if you have fast draining soil. Sandy loam would be ideal. Good luck.... dl.

• dpayne313
    17 years ago

If creosote is near it's hardiness limit in your zone, you'd probably be best to plant in spring, to get iw well established before winter. Seeds seem to germinate better by just putting them out and letting nature do the work, but I've also had luck using the 'drop in boling water and let sit for a day' process. It's said that Larrea seeds are light sensitive and bright light will actually inhibit germination!makes you wonder how any grow at all in the desert.Good luck!

• baci
    17 years ago

I believe the creosote bush secretes a substance that kills nearby plants. You might want to watch what you plant near it.

• adp_abq
    Original Author
    17 years ago

baci:

Thanks. I just bought the creosote bush in 5 gallon containers. It will be nearby (~5 ft. away) an established beargrass(nolina microcarpa) and prickly pear(opuntia engelmannii). Since these occur in nature along side it I think they'll be ok.

• myrmecophile_armyants_org
    16 years ago

Just following this interesting discussion. I am vainly trying to locate a nursery in Southern California that carries this species. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• philodice
    16 years ago

Creosote kills/prevents new plants. Established plants or vigorous plants are no problem. Steep in hot water for a few minutes, soak overnight, and plant directly in desired spot to avoid transplant shock. Creosotes are notorious transplant difficult divas, so I just grew mine from seed.
    Creosote plants require about one cup of water every month for the first 3 years. Then you can stop watering them. As long as the desert you live in gets some humidity caused dew that settles on the branches and drips to the root of the plant, your creosotes will be fine. This is the undisputed champion of the drought survivors. Keep the water away, and growth with flowers will be yours.
    Young bushes like to have a rock placed next to them to the South, for shade. The roots will seek lower temperatures under the rock.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• desert_danielle
    16 years ago

For Gordon - try Las Piltas Nursery. They have helped me with difficult to find species.

• flattie
    16 years ago

ADP, where are you finding your creosote? I am in ABQ. also and would like to know your source. Thanks.

• adp_abq
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Flattie:

I actually bought them in T or C (5 gallon) at Buffalo Bills Exotic Cactus Ranch (great place). They started carrying it earlier in the spring than local nurseries. However, I do know that Plants of the Southwest and Great Outdoors Nursery here in abq carry it. They typically get their shipments in the spring and it doesn't seem like they re-order after that. That might be a good thing because creosote is best established in the spring from what I've been advised so it has a full growing season to establish. Opposite of trees/shrubs. Great desert landscape shrub. Smells great.

• flattie
    16 years ago

Great. Appreciate the info.

• nmnanny
    14 years ago

And to think I was trying to find something to kill them!

• vieja_gw
    14 years ago

I bought a creosote from Bernado Beach Nursery here in Albuquerque a few years back but they said zone 7 where I live in Albuquerque was kinda 'iffy for it in real cold winters. Anyway, the plant didn't over winter so I'd like to try another one. Got a dalea there too that is doing well (tried to transplant one from the west mesa where they are growing wild all over but no luck!). Would like to know how the creosote you plant here does.

• adp_abq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vieja:

The first 2 plants I put in died. But they didn't die in the winter. More like late summer. Either too much or too little water? Not sure. I put in another one last year and it did fine. I watered it once a week. It overwintered fine this year. Of course I don't remember a milder winter here in Alburquerque than the one we had this past year.

The only ones selling creosote bush in albuquerque now that I'm aware of is Plants of the Southwest. $30 per 5 gallon! If I were passing by T or C anytime soon I'd pick up another couple there. Obviously I haven't given up in my quest to have a few in my yard. Kind of funny that they proliferate in lower central/southern new mexico like weeds and in cultivation you have to be careful with them it seems.

Sponsored