Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wineandlobos

New Mexico gardeners,I got a question

wineandlobos
16 years ago

When should I cut back my watering,Im in Rio Rancho outside Albq, I only water once a day as it is but is there a certain time and month I should stop,I mostly have palms and a couple trees.

Comments (5)

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

I live on a mesa outside of Los Lunas, which is south of where you live. I found out the hard way that I must water at least once a week during winter. I don't have any personal experiene with palms. I talking about general gardening.

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

Start cutting back a little by mid month, then gradually to stop by Nov. 1. You want them completely dormant when the cold arrives. Their metabolism will really slow when the nights get below 50 deg., so they won't be taking up too much water by then anyway.
    Even here in Las Cruces, where we may not get frost until ~ Dec. 1, I still stop watering by Nov 1. You can get a full zone increase in survivability with keeping them dry. We have Braheas, Washingtonias, Jubeas, Trachys, Sabals,Butias, Serenoas, and only the W. robustas get some frost burn on the leaves in winter. Dryness is the key in the winter months. Good Luck. dl.

• wineandlobos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So will my palms dry up,I have a few Washingtonia Filiferas and some windmills.I plan on protecting them. So by Nov.1st just cut off all watering and leave them until spring, is that right?

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

Not likely. Monocots like yuccas and palms are not metabolically active in cold weather, so unlike most trees which we do want to water in winter, palm roots won't grow then. The ground will also stay wet longer and promote rot. You might get away with watering your Trachys once a month if we have a mild winter but keep your Filiferas absolutely dry until March. If September stays hot keep up your current watering schedule, and then gradually back off through October. November first is a just a rough guide. Basically if your palms have been established in the ground at least 12 weeks by now, you should be ok with this rough guide. Good luck. dl

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

I had a tree guy give an estimate on removing three dead trees. He said $150. As it turned out there were five dead poplar trees. I kept looking at those trees, wondering how I could get them out myself, and save money. I am afraid of chain saws, and I didn't like the idea of stumps. The tree guy had told me there would be stumps.

One day I sawed off all of the branches which were low enough to possibly hurt me, then I tried rocking one of the dead trees back and forth to see how deeply rooted it was. The soil in that area of my land is sandy for the first 20", or so. I got some movement, so I gently rocked the tree some more, allowing the height of the tree to create momentum. I heard a root crack and saw soil movement. I pushed the tree farther in the other direction with each subsequent rocking movement. Pretty soon the roots on one side had broken free, and I was able to gently push the tree to the ground. I was very mindful of the potential for hurting myself!

There was no stump because I had broken the tree free from the roots. I burned the tree where it lay. I managed to get rid of all five trees that way. I am a 5'6" tall middle-aged woman.

Sponsored