Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find ocotillo in Southern New Mexico?

Posted by victorhugo 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 14:51

Hi, neighbors!

I just moved on to an acre and a half here on the border with Mexico. Whenever I drive over there I see mountainslopes full of ocotillo, but no way to bring some back. Whenever I visit the big box chains gardenshops they have all these great plants that won't grow here, but no ocotillo. Anyone have an idea how to propagate, or purchase in pots about a half dozen ocotillo? I'd rather not rustle it, even if I could find some free in the wild!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find ocotillo in Southern New Mexico?

Sierra Vista Growers is supposed to have a good supply of native plants.

2800 NM Highway. 28
La Union, NM

o

They carry ocotillo here in Albuquerque at Lowes and some nursery's, Try those in Las Cruces or El Paso.They should have some.Or maybe even Juarez might have a good deal on them.

o

Can't bring them from Juarez or I'd dig up a truck load on the road to Ascension!

Thanks anyway!

Where is La Union?

o

La Union is on NM 28 which runs through the town of Mesilla south to the Texas border. Sierra Vista is near mile marker 3, jsut north of TX border. It is a great nursery.
My favorite place for strictly desert plants is Desertland Nursery on the service drive of I-10 just east of El Paso. Exit #35, continue on the service drive going east, and it is on the right side about 1 and 1/2 miles up. Lots of ocotillos, barrel cacti,tree yuccas, sotols, at great prices. Good luck. dl

o

thanks for all of your help and I'll start digging and then buying after pay day, before the cold comes in, you say.

I'll try to remember your tip about riding that cactus on a carpet strip instead of carrying her in my arms like a new lamb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here