Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting barrel cactus and agave

Posted by victorhugo 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 14:54

Hi folks!

When I moved in the house the state inspector said I better move that cacti off the septic leach field.

Any tricks for moving a bucket sized barrel cactus, and a big bushel basket sized century plant before they get any bigger? Time of year? amount of hole (in this hard caliche), and preparation of new spot: any info gladly accepted, and a hand to the shovel as well!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting barrel cactus and agave

Carpet remnants are a great way to protect you --- and the cacti --- when moving them. Now is a good time to move them before the nights get cooler. Generally you want to dig a hole 2-3 times the width, but only to the depth of the rootball. Home Depot has a great palm/cactus soil mix. I blend it half and half with the native soil when transplanting these guys, seems to work well.

o

• Posted by terran zone10/Sunset20 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 5:39

When I have transplanted cactus, I first wrap the cactus with a thick layer of foam pad to protect the thorns, and then wrap with a layer of carpet or movers blanket to protect me. It seems to me that the use of carpet alone is too hard on the cactus, and leaves broken and/or bent espinas.

The century plant is a different matter. I once impaled my thigh while transplanting one. Possibly covering the tips in the direct line of fire with wire nuts might work, though I don't know if they would damage the tips or not. It might be worth the experiment. Also, it may be necessary to let the root heal over if it is similar to that of the aloe. It has been so long ago that I transplanted the century plant that I've forgotten the type of root it had.

Terran

o

I don't know if you've already moved them or not, but if not, here's a website with step-by-step photos showing a good way to do it -
http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1376.pdf

And here's some info on transplanting -
http://cals.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/cactusculture.html

Hope it helps :)

Here is a link that might be useful: HOW TO TRANSPLANT A CACTUS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here