Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
havenforpeace

Attention experienced desert winter gardeners

havenforpeace
15 years ago

Hey all

I just planted my winter garden- kale, snap peas, cilantro, broccoli rabe, carrots and potatoes.

Does anyone have tips for how much to water once seeds have germinated and once the weather is cool?

Also, tips in general for caring for the garden would be great! It's my first winter garden.

I planted it all in compost I laid over turned clayish soil and topped it with hay for mulch. Plan to use fish emulsion every 2 weeks.

Comments (3)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

First, all depends on where you live. Second, this very basic, seeds and seedlings need a soil temp. of 65 - 75 degrees F. to germinate/develop roots, so remove the straw from those areas. You can replace the straw around the plants when they get about 8 inches tall.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I'm in central New Mexico. I water my gardens about once a week in winter, if there has been no rain or snow. If there has been severe wind, I water more often. I put in carrots, kale and mustard spinach in one corner of my produce garden a couple of weeks ago.

I'll be putting in a cover crop for the first time this year, which includes Austrain winter peas. I hope I get to harvest some peas.

Lorna

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Sounds like an excellent plan and procedure to me.

When I live in the 'Rust Belt' and we didn't have snow in the winter, I would water my landscape plants. The neighbors thought I was crazy, but come summer my plants where health and theirs had 'winter dieback.'

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting