Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joshua Tree

Posted by lonepalm15 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 16:23

I bought Joshua Tree seeds while in Kanab, Utah. I planted them as per instructions and used the extremely tiny pot that was provided with the seeds. The seeds have been growing for a bout one month. I have a very tall "blade of grass" and a second smaller one. I have the following questions: When should I transplant the seedlings to a larger pot? What type of soil should I use? How often do I water? Right now the little pot sits in a tiny saucer which I replenish with water as needed. I only water from the bottom. It sits on a plant stand in a west facing large window along with my bonsais. Please give me some advice as to how to raise the Joshua Tree successfully. It really needs to be transplanted soon as the starter pot is extremely small. Thanks for all your help. Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joshua Tree

I'm amazed you got it to grow! They aren't easy, and most nurseries pot the pups that sprout up.

When you see some roots coming out of the bottom, it's time to transplant into a pot about 3x wider and taller (don't jump too many sizes). Use commercial cactus mix, or a mix of half playbox sand and half potting soil.

Water when a moisture meter says the soil is damp, but not bone dry ... soak it thoroughly and let it go almost dry again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here