Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yucca elata research

Posted by mayo97 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 16:23

Hi all, new to the list. I would be very interested in a link to any expert or to research done concerning transplanting Yucca elata. I remember reading Wheeler in his published USDA booklet of the studies done by him in the late 40's and 50's. In it he stated that none of his Y. elata survived transplanting for his studies at his research facility. Possibly there has has been some research since then???? Any help would be apppreciated---Mayo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yucca elata research

Sorry, brain burp there, the author of the USDA research in the 40's and 50's was Webber, not Wheeler.--Mayo

o

I don't know of any research on the topic, but perhaps you can check with someone from this site for practical experience: http://www.tucsoncactus.org/html/cactus_rescue.shtml . Good luck!

o

The problem is the taproot and susceptibility to rot after transplanting. They really need dry soil and sun. Good luck! I haven't had any.

o

Hi Mayo,

Don't know about research, but I have heard alot about difficulties transplanting this one, although apparently it can be done. I transplanted two small (1-2 foot trunk) individuals two years ago, one slowly died, but the other one just lost some leaves, and is now fine. I also was not too careful with these, and damaged their taproots quite a bit in the process.

Probably the new growing conditions for the transplant are most important in its success. But the most compelling positive note is simply the incredible number of huge landscape specimens of this species that are planted throughout the Southwest. The vast majority of these have been dug up from somewhere, not grown in containers. So maybe you could talk to someone with lots of landscaping experience with Y. elata.

Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here