Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Twisted Myrtle

Posted by pricklypearsatx z8/9 San Antonio (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 16:34

I purchased this shrub: Myrtus communis 'Boetica'

However, I read that it gets chlorosis. Is it intolerant of alkaline soils? How bad is the chlorosis? My soil ph is around 8

I also read that it develops chlorosis from "improper watering"
( --- whatever that is---)

(It sure is a neat shrub)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Twisted Myrtle

"Twisted Myrtle" sounds like a film noir role. One of those grainy, black & white, poorly shot movies. Or maybe a character from a board game, Twisted Myrtle, in the garden shed with a bulb auger!
I think that species is of Mediterranean origin so it should be fine with high pH soil, although 8 is pretty high. That's higher than the soils in my area and we're known for our caliche! With two common types of chlorosis to choose between I'll take a guess, based on your high pH, that iron chlorosis might be the one you need to watch for.
"Improper watering" ....now there's a catch-all phrase!

o
RE: Twisted Myrtle

Yes, I know "improper watering" is a catch-all phrase.
It is a Mediterranean plant. A type of Myrtle with a neat growth habit.

I wonder if there is a soil borne pathogen that could cause chlorosis? This would be quite different than true "iron chlorosis".

Little John Bottlebrush is a type of Myrtle that has been planted around San Antonio.

We have had lots of rain (10 inches this month) and all of these cute Bottlebrushes are turning a horrible yellow. I just don't think this is the same as "iron chlorosis" that we have in the Southwest. But I know that in Arizona they treat Bottlebrushes with iron, but I don't think iron will save the San Antonio Bottlebrushes...

I hope I'm not confusing anyone...LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here