Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
utah_mary

Wandering Jew

utah_mary
20 years ago

Hi all...well, new to the SW but, saw something very strange the other day & would be interested in your comments. I saw someone have a beautiful Wandering Jew plant growing in their desert landscaping, in the full sun here in St. George, UT.! Hmmm, I thought it was a houseplant that loves shade. Any thoughts before I stick one out in yard? Thanks. mary

Comments (21)

• bookwizards

Here in north Texas it is an invasive weed but we tolerate it because it blooms all year and adds a bit of color to beds otherwise with little color in July and August ours has small bright blue flowers.

I have a large area 2 ft x 10 ft on the west side in a raised planter where only cactus would grow and it just does super it does begin to burn in August but there are days when the temperature in that bed must be over 120 due to heat from the sun on the railroad ties and reflecting from the house but each year it comes back there and other places where it is not welcome. It has made it to several neighbors yards and is flourshing in a yard across the street and 100 yards away, does it make seed and do birds eat them?

We made a new Iris bed and before we planted anything some was already coming up.

Bill

• bookwizards

Here in north Texas it is an invasive weed but we tolerate it because it blooms all year and adds a bit of color to beds otherwise with little color in July and August ours has small bright blue flowers.

I have a large area 2 ft x 10 ft on the west side in a raised planter where only cactus would grow and it just does super it does begin to burn in August but there are days when the temperature in that bed must be over 120 due to heat from the sun on the railroad ties and reflecting from the house but each year it comes back there and other places where it is not welcome. It has made it to several neighbors yards and is flourshing in a yard across the street and 100 yards away, does it make seed and do birds eat them?

We made a new Iris bed and before we planted anything some was already coming up.

Bill

• bookwizards

Bill

• ankraras
    20 years ago

I sometimes take mine outdoors for watering. A few pieces accidentally broke off and I had forgot about it. It was thriving and well rooted in it's sheltered location. Purple Heart [ Tradescantia pallida ] is a variety often seen growing around our area.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• utah_mary
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ankrara...thank you for responding. I'll have to try to find some Purple Heart. I thought this looks so cool! I LOVE your website (especially the little hummer "following" me!) mary

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Hi;-
    It's our pleasure to bring it to you. Thank you kindly for the visit.

• Mesalina
    20 years ago

When I first bought my wandering jew, I didn't think it would last, but it grew beautifully. However, during that past month, it seems to be dying. The leaves are browning, the stems are thinning. I don't know what to do. My wandering jew is my first and favorite plant. It seems to be the only one I am having so much trouble with. Can someone please help me. I don't want her to die completely.

• utah_mary
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Mesalina...I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you on your wandering jew, but if I could make a suggestion...perhaps if you posted it on the houseplant forum I think you would get a lot of response. Good luck, mary

• Weed_Pickin_Momma
    20 years ago

Hi Mary,
    I just planted a Purple Heart this year and love it. It is growing in full sun and is doing great! I have been told that sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't, and are very easy to propagate by cuttings.
    I am originally from UT (wasatch area) and have had to basically relearn everything as to gardening here in Arkansas. I MISS UTAH! But, I love the plants I can grow here and was never able to in UT. (now I just need some mountains..it's so flat here)
    Enjoy your Purple Heart :)
    ~Rebecca~

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Heart

• dsleeper
    20 years ago

I have a Wandering Jew in a pot that gets full sun all day here in Phoenix and it does just fine. I'm now taking cuttings from it to plant in the flower beds. They are coming along just fine.

• faith3nm
    20 years ago

Ankara,
    I have never seen such beauty in my life!Who is the photographer?And to think that I live the next state east

• azamigo
    20 years ago

I've got lots of wandering jew growing as a groundcover under my shade trees here in Phoenix. Does great with full shade all year-loves the heat as long as it isn't in the sun.

• ankraras
    20 years ago

faith3nm ;- I lived in Alamogordo for about 3 years during the 70's, before moving to AZ. Your note brings back memories of "white sand" that I have been missing a bit ;-[. Las Cruces, as I remember is not too far away, Yes?

My husband and I both like toying with an old camera among other things when ever opportunity permits. We are
    delighted to have you as a visitor. Thank you!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• OKCAmanda
    20 years ago

Apparently wandering jew can become quite invasive as far north as Zone 7.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Killing Wandering Jew

• catson4
    19 years ago

I have 2 plants of Purple Heart growing very good OUTDOORS year 'round. I live in Zone 8, the Western part of the Puget Sound Area in Washington State.
    Last January we had over 3 weeks of 10* to 25* F. weather. BRRR. There was nothing left of the plants when the snow melted off. Looked like they had been melted. I did not have any mulch over them. And they are growing in a graveled area of our water pond 'scaping.

This Spring they came back like gang busters. This Summer they got up to about 18" high and 36" in diameter.
    They are now starting to die back from the frosty nights. They sure are a pretty plant. And are real easy to get new starts from.

Happy Pondering.
    Claude

• cindy_ash
    19 years ago

We have had some growing in part sun for several years, but hasn't really grown all that much. We just bought a large Purple Heart to put in a shady spot near our door and its taking off like it owns the place! So it does seem to like being out of the sun (at least in Phx)

And yeah, the Wasatch region is beautiful, all year round. Was there for two years, left for many reasons, but have gone back to hike and travel. Lovely country.

• hotdog
    18 years ago

i am looking for all types of wandreing jew cuttings if any one has any please email me

• greenwood85
    15 years ago

I started a thread about this plant and cant find it. Seems to have disappeared, so I'll try again here.

I'm having trouble with my purple heart. What is your watering schedule / misting schedule with these plants. The guy at the nursery told me to water once every two weeks or so but internet sources have said watering once or twice a week is necessary.

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Wandering Jew, Flowering Inch Plant, is native to the tropical forest of SA. They get their name from the fact that they grow very rapidly toward the sun light on the forest floor when a tree falls thus opening the canopy. More light, more blooms, short internodes, and more vivid color. Slightly moist soil is best.

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Yes, they produce tiny tiny seeds that are scattered by wind, etc.

• greenthumblarry
    13 years ago

Purple Jew grows like a weed. I ahve a few photos in my photo stream.

Bests-

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Heart

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County