adp_abq

native plant nurseries in El Paso, TX

adp_abq
17 years ago

Any recommendations?

Comments (18)

• dew80
    17 years ago

I have been in El Paso for a year. I have been to "Eastside discount nursery" once which had good plant collection but more expensive than in Lowes or Home depot. I am usually able to find all the native El Paso/Desert climate plants in Lowes and home depot.

• abqpalms
    17 years ago

adp_abq -

I have to second the "East Side Discount Nursery" recommendation.

In my travels to El Paso, I have been to ESDN three times now, and I always am quite impressed at their vast selection. It always makes me wish there was a nursery like that up here in ABQ! I have always been very impressed.

It is pretty easy to get to, just off of I-10 on Viscount (far east side of the city).

• adp_abq
    Original Author
    17 years ago

eastside discount nursery it is then!

Thanks

• abqpalms
    17 years ago

You'll have to check back in and let us know how you liked it (and if you got anything).

• desertlvr
    17 years ago

I agree about Eastside Discount Nursery. Great selection, and their stuff is usually more "zone appropriate" than Loew's, Home Depot.

• Rachel_in_WTexas
    17 years ago

Hi, and welcome to El Paso! DON'T MISS going to the annual native plant sale at UTEP'S chihuahuan gardens on the last weekend of April. It's phenomenal, as are the wonderful gardens they have set up there. And they've added a PDF file with a garden tour for gardeners on their site as well. The link below has three major sections -- the gardens that includes pdf tours, the database which is great for information on the plants, and the plant list from last year so you can get an idea what plants will be available this april. be sure to bring a wagon with you, to make navigating and getting plants to your car easier, although there are a limited number of wagons available there to use.

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: Chihuhuan Desert Gardens (UTEP)

• desertlvr
    17 years ago

Rachel, you're THE BOMB! I went to the link, found the incredible and extensive list of plants that were offered last year at the UTEP sale. I will be there at the end of April, with a wagon --- and a friend's borrowed truck. Thanks for sharing. Now, where would you buy palms --- East Side Discount? dl

• corral36
    16 years ago

Greetings,

My name is Adriana and I am writing to you for a number of reasons. I currently completed my first year of AmeriCorps in Miami, FL and have recently moved back home (El Paso, TX). Presently, I am attempting to organize a group of volunteers to par take in a national fight for community beautification. Guerilla Gardening, is an international community that began in London waging an environmental movement whose followers reclaim public spaces left abandoned and neglected. GG has been around for over 20 years and I am asking if you would like to collaborate with me in helping revitalize and revamp El Paso County? I believe the planting of a seed can create life sustenance, beauty, and dialogue for change.
    I was also wondering if anyone knew where i could get seeds, mulch or left over plants dontaed for my cause? Since I am working alone to create this project I am limited to few resources and knowledgeable information from experts. Do you recommend certain flowers, shrubs, or vegetables that would be best for El Paso year long weather and land? I thank you for your time and hope to hear back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Adriana Corral
    celpaso@gmail.com

• catnip3
    16 years ago

It's not much further to Las Cruces and you can visit Enchanted Gardens. The owner, Jackye, is very knowledgable about gardening in this area. You can look at their website, www.nmenchantedgardens.com and see what native plants are available. Jackye carries mostly natives but if you want to make a day of it, Guzman's Greenhouse and Color Your World are nice nurseries to visit also.

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

Adriana, I will help you guerilla garden in El Paso if you will help me do the same in Las Cruces. Deal? I know a bit about plants for the area and am intrigued at the notion of gg! dl

• elpasobooks_sbcglobal_com
    16 years ago

I rent a store front, but we have a plot of land that needs a guerilla gardening force to hit it. It has been a neighborhood dump for years and I am looking to literally bury that in the free mulch one can get from Clint. There are a few native plants fighting out an existence on the plot. I would love to see those and others come to life. But lacking a truck and not having a pocketbook lined with money, I don't see it happening soon. Any help would be appreciated. Joe (915) 759-6613

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to book store

• desertlvr
    16 years ago

Joe ---- I split time between Albuquerque and Las Cruces. I will be happy to help.I have access to a truck many weekends, so maybe we can plan something for a weekend late March/ early April. How big is the plot -- is this something we can basically design and fill in with beautiful desert plants? It can be done on a shoestring. And any independent bookstore will get my support!! I have your phone number. I'll call this weekend. Best, dl

• lfitzwa
    16 years ago

Joe & DL, if you're interested in any pine straw mulch, please let me know. I have two cabins in Cloudcroft and can provide you with some for your plot. I use it to mulch my roses, jasmine and burford holly. Here's a link about using pine straw as mulch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Pine Straw

• dew80
    10 years ago

Here is some info on El Paso area nurseries:
    http://elpasotwigs.com/elpaso/El%20Paso/nurseries.html

• dearirma
    8 years ago

Hello everyone, my name is Irma. I am hoping someone in this forum can help me get a pyracantha planted successfully. I had a beautiful one growing along my front porch until the freeze 2 or 3 years ago killed (I hate myself for not having protected it) I have tried to replace it several times with no success. I have bought small ones and tall ones. I have bought at different nurseries, still no success. Please help. I love pyracanthus.

• dearirma
    8 years ago

This is me again (Irma). It will probably help to tell you I live in El Paso, TX. I have spent well over $100.00 trying to get a pyracantha to grow. Please help.

• lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

Irma ... try North American natives, such as hackberry, madrone, etc.

• violetwest
    8 years ago

try the El Paso Master Gardeners helpdesk: (915) 566-1276.
    El Paso MG helpdesk info