Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spots on leaves

Posted by mazelady tx (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 17:35

I noticed a few white aphids on the underside of my tropical hibiscus leaves so I sprayed the leaves on both sides with organic pesticide. 3 or 4 days later the leaves had these spots on them. There aren't any aphids on them but I have found an ant or two crawling on the plant.
What is this? Could the aphids have a delayed effect? Maybe the organic pesticide? Help?
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wVDWcy7r9EbjTL7vUTKaKg?feat=embedwebsite

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus leaf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spots on leaves

What was in the spray? Was is a soap of some kind?
The leaves appear to have been damaged by whatever you sprayed on them. From the photo it looks like the chemical puddled or dripped on to the leaf with greatest damage.
You don't need to use chemicals to control an aphid infestation, just hose them off the plant. An aphid hosed off it's plant very rarely can get back to it. Was the plant infested or did it only have a few aphids? Are you sure they were aphids? Live ones are rarely white.
Also, organic pesticides can be just as dangerous (or more) as inorganic and need to be handled with the same care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here