Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vines to grow on pergola

Posted by fmbleier 9 (fmbleier@cox.net) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 22:22

I live in Phoenix, AZ and I have a new well built large pergola that is begging for a plant material to grow on it to soften the look. Please advise as to what would be a good choice of vine. I have a gardner that comes once a week that would help train it's growth. I plan to sell the house in about 3 years so am not worried about overgrowth which I know can become a problem with vines. Please advise.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vines to grow on pergola

If you want evergreen, some of the native coral honeysuckles (lonicera sempervirens) should work in your zone. Though don't know if all improved cultivars, such as 'Major Wheeler', can thrive in 9.

For deciduous, one of the 'Madame' trumpet vine hybrids (campsis x tagliabuana) should work. The native campsis radicans would also work, but future owners may curse you.

o
Deciduous vine or evergreen?

If the temp drops hard in the winter, then I guess deciduous like a hardy grape such as concord or another native cross. Wisteria is also a very hardy any monster grower once established. Hops is the money. Sambac Jasmine is slow growing and requires straps but smells and tastes so good(Grand Dukes especially).
If it's hot year around, passifora edulis, Honey suckles, and creeping fig is you want a battle.

o
Deciduous vine or evergreen?

If the temp drops hard in the winter, then I guess deciduous like a hardy grape such as concord or another native cross. Wisteria is also a very hardy any monster grower once established. Hops is the money. Sambac Jasmine is slow growing and requires straps but smells and tastes so good(Grand Dukes especially).
If it's hot year around, passifora edulis, Honey suckles, and creeping fig is you want a battle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here