Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redwood deck/in deck hot tub problem

Posted by humster 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 23:09

I have a huge redwood deck in the east mountains N of Abq. I love it and don't want to ruin it as we oil it every few years. In one spot there is a very deep wooden hot tub that we have not used, even once. It has a wooden cover. I could have it covered and blended into the rest of the deck as a safety measure for the kids and for added deck space. We will not use it, it needs to be repaired and we do not want a hot tub. It is so deep that it scares me to sit in it, as I cannot see out. I think it is currently a home of rodents- packrats have brought items into the edges.

I was thinking, another alternative might be to fill it with dirt. I don't like the idea of rotting the wood...on the other hand it was built to contain water. It would be an ideal spot for a tree, etc.. We could use one there. It obviously has a water system set up, but I don't know if it's usable for this situation and we have never turned it on in seven years. BTW this is a west facing spot.

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redwood deck/in deck hot tub problem

"We will not use it, it needs to be repaired and we do not want a hot tub." Sounds as if you've answered your own question. Remove the thing.
Is this a wooden tub or a regular hot tub with wood for pretty?
How deep is it? Does it drain well?
Does the water system work, could you reconfigure it for irrigation purposes? You could use it for a planter as long as it has adequate drainage. I wouldn't put a tree in it, not enough room and dangerous near the house/deck.
Is the wood in contact with the soil? If so have you checked it for termites?
Pack rats? Definitely don't want those guys near the house. Make sure field mice aren't in there too, they can carry Hantavirus.

o

I would worry about it being too heavy, and the soil would be hard to keep aerated. Deep planters usually turn stagnant in the bottom.

I recommend removal and using any leftover redwood for smaller planters.

o

nmgirl: it is entirely solid wood. I'd say about 4 1/2 feet deep with a 3 1/2 foot diameter? No contact with soil beneath...the builders did a great job of making sure none of the house, entirely made of wood, contacts the soil directly. Yes, rats and mice make me nervous.

lazygardens: We can remove it and using the leftover wood for planters makes a lot of sense, I love to reuse things, because we have lots of leftover stuff and no need to buy fifty dollar planters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here