Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solution to eliminate olives

Posted by SabaKozy Israel (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 04 at 8:09

I have a mature olive tree in the centre of my back yard. This is fine and we enjoy the shade. My biggest problem is the fruit. My efforts to remove as many of the flowers as possible in the Spring are in vain as I still am on my knees picking up these staining black menaces one by one come October. Can anyone give me a solution (no pun intended!!) to rid the tree of ALL the blossoms? I have thought of trying a saline solution.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solution to eliminate olives

There are several products that can be used to prevent the formation of fruit on olive trees. These are marketed under the names of Florel, Maintain, Embark and Olive Stop.

Florel and Maintain are a growth regulators. These products act to slow or stop growth depending on the application concentration, and are sprayed onto the tree before flowering to prevent flower development. Applications must be measured precisely or disfigurement of the tree's leaves will result, sometimes for years afterward. Studies from Arizona State University indicate that the chemicals can have a cumulative effect in the tree's tissues and can contribute to declining health if used in consecutive years.

Embark and Olive Stop require several applications but are much safer to use. These auxin-derivative compounds are applied at the time of flower budding to abscise flowers and subsequent fruit before they develop.

The University of California at Davis recommends the following: "For complete crop removal, a solution of 150 ppm naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA) is applied in two sprays, the first 2 to 3 days before full bloom and the second a week later. If the bloom period is short, a second spray may not be necessary. A single spray may be applied at full bloom, but often crop removal is incomplete. For large trees, a power sprayer is required; 5 to 10 gallons of solution per tree may be required to give good coverage."

The complete article can be found at the web address below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olive Fruit Removal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here