Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brush Shredders

Posted by leafygreens NewMexico (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 9:53

Does anyone have any pro and con about garden brush shredders? I've been looking for some sort of comparison guide. It would be so nice to make piles and piles of carbonaceous matrix type material from all the lovely things now turning in for winter. I am dreaming of how I could build up the soil if I could just get it into smaller bits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brush Shredders

I had a gasoline powered chipper/shredder when I lived in SF. It worked ok, but then I ran out of things to chip and shred. But it did make good mulch. And I didn't want to mulch things like Russian thistle, because those things will seed anywhere.
If I had smaller green stuff, I would have gotten one of those electric shredders.
But I did have a devil of a time getting my compost to start up. It was so dry that I had to water it every day, and even then I had problems.
If you've got a lot of green up there, I'd do one of those electric things, or lay the green stuff out and shred it with a mower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Gardens

o
RE: Brush Shredders

leafygreens,

I have a gasoline powered chipper/shredder, also. It's my second chipper/shredder as the first was stolen from my yard. I purchased both from Sears. The 2nd has plastic housing that the vibration from the operation of it caused to crack and warp. It is now in pieces on the floor of my garage, waiting to be put back together with the replacement parts. I would recommend looking for a chipper shredder that doesn't have plastic parts! Mine is 10 HP. I use the chipper/shredder year round to create mulch that I use all over my yard. I shred trimmings from bushes, leaves and lots of pine needles. The pine needles (from my parents mountain house) make the best mulch imaginable: attractive, keeps moisture up, weeds down, doesn't blow away, decomposes slowly and eventually adds a little acid to our alkaline soil. The mulch eventually gets worked into the soil and improves the arability.

I use a twin barrel system to compost yard and household vegetable waste. I am careful of what I put through the chipper or add to the compost. I won't use plants that reseed freely because I can't quarantee that my composter temps get high enough to kill the seed. With the barrel retaining the moisture, I rarely have to add water, even in my arid climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here