Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorna_organic

wind tunnels and micro climates

lorna-organic
16 years ago

I've been reading newsletters and web articles from High Country Gardens for a couple of years. Some of the issues addressed have to do with identifying micro climates in one's garden, as well as the paths the winds tend to travel.

In putting up fences, walls, or latticework, and growing trees and bushes, we create micro climates throughout our gardens. I've been fortunate in that the size of the area I am attempting to tame has made it hard for me to accidentally create wind tunnels. I've done well in dispersing the path of the wind, rather than channeling it.

I've been planting bushes to create areas of shade for my produce garden and my roses, as well as to redirect the wind. Bushes grow more quickly than trees. I've also put up some latticework. The lattice diffuses the force of the wind, and creates some shade.

I have planted several trees. Personally I don't think it is a good idea to plant a line of trees as a windbreak. I think that causes a wind tunnel effect. I am thinking that staggering evergreens around fruit trees would help to keep the wind from blowing blossoms off the fruit trees.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths