Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SW new mexico cloudcroft area

Posted by willspray (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 10:23

Does anyone know what kind of climate they have in the mountains SW new mexico, cloudcroft area? For example what hardiness zone it is, what kind of trees and shrubs grow well there?

What is the real estate market like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SW new mexico cloudcroft area

When I was researching my move to New Mexico, I looked up Cloudcroft. It is a high mountain climate. The prospect of getting a decent paying job did not look promising. It is a small community. The roads are sometimes inaccessible during winter from what I read. One cannot get in or out of the town during heavy snowfall.

A friend of mine vacationed in Cloudcroft and thought the area was really beautiful. It might be a good place to retire, but it would not be a gardener's dream because of long, heavy winters.

o
RE: SW new mexico cloudcroft area

My parents lived in Cloudcroft for 5 years but moved for several reasons. Cloudcroft is at a pretty high altitude, their house was 9000 feet. Some winters there are very snowy and icy, (there was a ski slope), although the winter of 2005-2006 had no snow at all. I agree that it's not a gardener's dream but it is pretty and quite a few things will grow there. Pine and aspen seem to like it. Ruidoso is lower elevation, just as pretty but getting very pricey as well as crowded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here