Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red yucca

Posted by ravenfla 32926 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 04 at 12:31

i have sprouted some red yucca seeds now I would like to know the next step i have put the spout in some potting soil with the seed ontop how much water does it need and do I put it under lites.any info would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red yucca

I would say it depends on where you live. Here in Phoenix, they are some of the toughest plants around, you often see them in busy street medians, being blasted with sun and exhaust fumes and blooming like crazy. So I know they tolerate (probably even like) a lot of heat. They also grow with little to no extra irrigation, so I'd say to be careful not to overwater them (although a baby might need a touch more). I'd also advise pretty poor soil with low organic matter that has excellent drainage to avoid root rot.

Congratulations on successful germination and good luck!

o
RE: red yucca

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 7:14

I sprinkled seeds in...probably August..(this years just matured ones) in raised beds where I have my cacti. I now have a fair number of little three leaf blade blades of "grass" (actually hesperaloe/red yucca). They seem to sprout easily and grow rather quickly for a succulent.
Come spring, it'll be time to work my hands around the spines and try to get them out (I had no idea I'd get that rapid a growth).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here