Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphnexduck

hot corner needs plants

daphnexduck
17 years ago

I'm trying to help a friend with his patio container plantings. Bill lives in San Jose, California, and one corner of his little patio gets full summer sun and plants cook there. Any suggestions for how to cope with this hot corner? The walls are stucco and the floor is cement. The patio is totally enclosed by walls and is only about 15' x 15'.

Bill says that an umbrella would just prevent air circulation and trap the heat. He does have a water spray line that he uses, but this one corner just bakes. Can he grow anything here?

Daphne in Tacoma

Comments (9)

• subdude
    17 years ago

An Agave would probably love that corner...but if thorns aren't your thing, then maybe an Oleander. One of the signature plants here in Phoenix that also just loves sun is the Bougainville. I will bloom relentlessly year round, as long as it has alot of sun. As far as i know, it does tolerate reflected heat well. OH- and it's Gorgeous!

• julieab
    17 years ago

I would suggest "Partridge Feather" as well. A low-growing, slightly olive green plant with spikes of sulfur yellow flowers once a year...grows in the worst areas of my yard and will slowly spread.

• ankraras
    17 years ago

Our patio is attached to the house on the south with a cement floor. The plants we house there get direct morning and afternoon sun. We have had Ficus, Jasmine sambac Aloe, Gardenia, and Juniper there for at least 5 years. I keep my plants well watered at all times.

• mangcau
    17 years ago

I have a similarly hot spot in the yard, a corner next to a CMU wall that absorbs the summer heat and by mid summer stays hot to touch day and night. After many tries with various plants I had success using Tecoma.

• mojo1937
    17 years ago

'Bright Lights' cosmos were bred for hot dry areas (annuals).
    Periwinkles also like hot dry areas.
    BUT.....Use large containers with about 25 lbs of good potting soil; add slow-release fertilizer; and most important of all WATER CRYSTALS. After mixing the water crystals into the potting soil, water, wait several days before planting so that the crystals can absorb the water. Your friend will not need to water everyday if he uses water crystals.

Happy gardening.

• daphnexduck
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll have to go down to San Jose and take Bill by the hand to the nursery, again!

I did get him water crystals and put them in his pots that I made up for him last October. Bill is an engineer, so he's already made a good drip irrigation system. But he's fighting the reflected heat from the walls, as well as the air temperatures.

I'll let you know if I can talk him into buying any of the above.
    Thanks, again.
    Daphne

• nmnative
    17 years ago

Crepe myrtles or lantana have both performed really well for me when I need something that blooms and can take heat with little water. They even have dwarf crepe myrtles now. Good luck and have fun planting.

• daphnexduck
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the corner of Bill's patio. Not lots of room, as this is a walkway from house (sliding door on left) to the garage.
    The vine is a jasmine, but I don't think it can stay there for the summer.

• jrod
    16 years ago

I would recommend various types of succulents for the area. They will handle whatever you can throw at them and then some. They are very easy to take care of and in San Jose, most will handle being outside year round. In fact, they are so easy that I'm out of town for 2 1/2 weeks at the moment and i'm confident they will be fine when I get back to town.

Phormium is also a tough plant that can handle that corner. There are also many ornamental grasses that would do well.

Sponsored