Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'mums' vs. 'chrysanthemums' ??

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 13:46

My favorite flowers/plants are peonies (I have 30 of the plants) in Spring & 'mums'in the Fall. I have good luck with both & just now am enjoying the beautiful color range of all the latter ... some mum bushes are the size of a bushel basket & loaded with blooms. I prune them back a couple of times during the summer so they get bushier but with many more smaller blooms on plants that are sturdier & don't fall over. I always bury the clippings as I often get some of them to root & give me more plants! I see the terms 'mums' & 'chrysanthemums' both used & wonder if there is a difference in plants or are the two terms the same & used interchangibly?

I didn't see a forum for just mums so hope someone on this forum can help me with the terms! I live in Albuquerque right at 5200 ft.

Thanks!

-vieja

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'mums' vs. 'chrysanthemums' ??

Peonies are gorgeous! Mums are chrysanthemums. The difference is that mums have shorter petals, which causes the flowers to look like pompoms. They bloom twice a year, spring and fall. They die back over winter, but are one of the first plants to revive in spring. I live in Zone 9. I have several planted in the yard.

o

Viega,
Glad to know someone is growing peonies in ABQ, I'm in Rio Rancho and I just bought a tree peony through Cricket Hill. I have it in a pot now and left it outside in a covered patio. It is bare root and does not have leaves.
Would you please tell me how I should take care of this baby in our dry climate? Do you keep your peonies in the ground year round, or do you overwinter them indoor? Will peonies grow in our hot Summer sun?

o

I believe you will find the term"mums" developed from slang (sorry, the cockney or London words) criz anti mum, and finally shortened to mums, incidentally the pom-poms are actually chrysanthemums, hope this will help. For those of you in dry areas the simple answer is lasagna gardening, an old method created by "mother nature" of layering different degradeable materials, such as manure, leaves, fruit, kitchen scraps etc which I go into on my pages of gardeningforyou.com I hope the pages are useful to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.gardeningforyou.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here