Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mapgal

getting started from scratch

mapgal
17 years ago

We are having our very first home built and will be moving in this February. I don't know a whole lot about gardening and even less about AZ/SW gardening. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and hard work and am willing to read up on anything I need to.

My question is where in the world do I get started? I have browsed some of the books mentioned, but most don't have a good starting plan. I even went to the Desert Botanic Garden and the Glendale Library garden for ideas. Lots of ideas on plants, but not general landscaping. I mean, a barren backyard that has nothing. What are some good resources?

My big question is do we need a drip irrigation system? Our homebuilder does not install one in the backyard but we will have a stub. How much do those cost? Are they necessary? We plan to make the yard as xeric as possible but do want lots of plants and I do want a citrus tree so that is not xeric. But no lawn. I find the idea of calling landscapers out of the yellow pages for estimates daunting. But is that my only choice of my homebuilder offers no landscape services? When should I call? When we are moved in or is it easier for them to do the work while the house is still under construction?

I know I have a lot of questions! I am sorry so many are so basic, as I said before if there are websites or books with good resources please point me to them!

Comment (1)

Sponsored