Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
getiton_gw

What kind of bug is this

getiton
15 years ago

I have a bunch of bugs that are eating my mesquite tree and killing it. I took a picture of it. Any suggestions on what it is and how to get rid of it?

http://www.the-cullens.us/gallery/4016723_oJX2g#386352253_TdM7A

Comments (8)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I tried doing a search but could not identify that amazing creature. The info I found said that insects prey upon trees which are stressed. The recommendation was to do what you can to support the health of the tree, fertilizers and sufficient water, so that it can ward off insect predators. There are many types of bugs which prey upon mesquite. An unhealthy or weak tree puts out chemical signals which attract predator insects.

I don't condone using pesticides, but I do use soapy water for insect pest control. You can buy garden insecticidal soap, or you can try simple dish soap (NOT antibacterial soap). Instructions for use of garden insecticidal soap are on the bottle. For dish soap, I use a teaspoon to a gallon of water. Or, a teaspoon to a spray bottle which attaches to the hose. Spray the soil around the tree as well as the tree. Make sure to get the under sides of the branches as well as the tops. Repeat applications are necessary to kill any hatchlings which might appear later on.

Good luck!
    Lorna

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Soaps of any kind are contact insecticides which means you have to spray each and every insect. Soaps have no residual effects.

• sane_psycho
    15 years ago

Could it be a longhorn beetle? I'm just going off the long antennae though.

• aquawise
    15 years ago

It is a beetle called Flatheaded borer beetle loves to eat masquite trees. Google masquite tree pests it should come up there.

• aztreelvr
    15 years ago

The photo you posted is the mesquite twig girdler, one of the roundheaded borers, which girdles and kills small twigs of mesquite trees.

The adults usually emerge in early summer and its the female that does the girdling of 1/2 inch diameter branches, laying her egge in holes made just beyond the channel cut around the branch. The larvae hatch and bore into the wood. Because they are inside the branch, control is difficult.

Usually this activity does not kill the tree, just tips of the branches. If your trees are dying, I would also look at other causes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round-headed Borers

• growingup
    15 years ago

Finally!!!! I have been looking for the name of this bug since October! I went to my daughter's carnival and as night fell, these bugs were on everything, including us. They are very big (to me) and when you try to take them off, it is a bit of a struggle because they cling to you, gives me the creeps just thinking of it.

• roger3125
    15 years ago

Anyone have any experince getting rid of the dreaded white fly? I've used Merit, a huge polulation of Ladybugs and now iinsecticidal soap. Two weeks ago I saw a few, spraying most days now they have multiplied so fast I'm afraid I will have to dig out the bushes as each day the battle gets more lost.

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

White flies spend 90% of their time on the underside of the leaf. Make sure you the underside of the leaf. I spray beginning with the lowest leaves and move upward.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor