Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
xeriscape in high-desert

Posted by kfeer zone 5-ish (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 15:32

We would like to get rid of our current lawn - that requires watering in warmer weather - with something low-maintenance and hardy. Unlike most of these posts, we don't have the southwestern climate - we are high desert - arid, not too hot in the summer, but big temperature differences day to night (20-40 degree swing) and lots of wintery snowy days. We're at a high elevation so lots of sun. Due to fire hazards, we can't let the native bunch grass, rabbit brush, etc take over. We like the grass as a fire break, but hate watering (ok, hubby hates mowing too!!) Looking for ideas for either low maint ground cover plants or xeriscaping or combination. I'm a novice when it comes to plants, and don't have a lot of time or money to spend. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: xeriscape in high-desert

• Posted by eureka z8 SS11 CAHiDesert (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 0:40

If you go to the site of High Country Gardens who are located in Santa Fe, they have several excellent lawns that are slow growing and rarely need mowing and very little water. They would likely be your best guide.

o

have you considered just dirt? you could cover the dirt with either old carpet turned upside down, several layers of newspaper or cardboard.... then to make it look presentable cover it with something like black steer manure or wood chips? Doing it this way, you wouldnt have to tear out your lawn which would save a lot of work.... just cover it up!

o

• Posted by eureka z8 SS11 CAHiDesert (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 1:00

You could also look at ornamental grasses or create a meadow, also something that you can look at on High Country Gardens site. You have many choices but I do feel that High Country Gardens can give you the most guidance with their various gardens, meadows, and grasses. I think they are exactly what you are looking for.

o

Veronica prostrata and Veronica pectinata are two nice groundcovers that require little maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here