Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds for Mexican Bird of Paradise

Posted by mikesteve CA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 15:38

Hello,,
I have a yellow Mexican Bird of Paradise. I would like to take the seeds and grow new plants. Here is what I was told, but is this correct? I was told I could cut the seed pods off the plant and put them in a bowl to dry out. After the pods are dry, take out the seeds and put them in a pot with dirt. Water them and they will grow. Is this correct or do I need to do anything else?
Thank you,
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds for Mexican Bird of Paradise

Yes, this is basically correct but one very important thing about pod collecting is missing. Make sure the pods are mature, a tannish colored pod with dark brown seams. They even be beginning to open at this point. You should have a 50% germination rate within 3 months.

o

I don't know what a Mexican Bird of Paradise is, but I suspect it might be the same plant I call Desert Bird of Paradise. If so, beware that all parts of the plant are highly poisonous, including seeds. Use gloves, or wash your hands carefully after handling.

Here is a photo of flowers on my Desert Bird of Paradise.
Photobucket

Lorna

o

The easiest way to germinate Mexican Bird seeds is to dry them out then place them in vinegar or better yet sulphuric acid for 15 min, rinse well,the germination rate will be about 95%

Here is a link that might be useful: The Carefree Gardener

o

Could one abrade the seeds slightly instead of the sulfuric acid?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here