Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
duranta sapphire shower

Posted by hannelore_2006 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 17, 06 at 19:57

I have been told conflicting facts about this plant. I was told at the nursery that it was a good trellis plant growing to 25'. I have also been told it is a bush and can be trained as a tree. I have a 6' trellis in a small patio area that I am using for privacy and looking for fast growing, evergreen, coverage. It receives partial south sun both summer and winter. Will this plant supply those needs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: duranta sapphire shower

Not at all conflicting, they probably forgot to mention other details about it as we all often do. Similar in nature with Jasmine sambac and
Pyracantha, Durata rerecta 'Sapphire Shower' is a shrub that the new growth is sprawling and vine like in nature. Seems like a trellis is a
good choice for the type of support to help with those long new shoots. It can easily be trained to take a tree like form with trimming to
maintain as a very attractive tree/shrub like form.

A very versatile beauty to grow and I do not see why it would not serve the purpose you are desiring. Watch for whiteflies during their season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here