Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gray Rabbitbush

Posted by Hyperboy Georgia (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 22:19

During my recent trip to Colorado Springs, my brother and I set off on an extended road trip.
I don't know if the plant I'm trying to recall grows only at a certain elevation or a certain type of environment, but I remember seeing vast reddish plains covered with bushes of some sort, which were studded with beautiful yellow blooms. I never got out to examine one of these plants, but I can tell you some of the places we passed through.
I know we headed south and went through (not necessarily in this order) Pueblo, Cripple Creek, Estes, Manitou Springs, Canon City, and we stopped at the Royal Gorge. I'm sure my brother took a number of back roads, but this was the general area we covered.
Could the plant I'm thinking of be the Gray Rabbitbush (Chrysothamnus nauseosus)? It was stunning, but I couldn't seem to find it a few days later in the Colorado Springs area.

Hyperboy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gray Rabbitbush

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish CO Rockies (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 9:09

Yes, most likely Rubber or Grey rabbitbrush (Ericameria nauseosa formerly Chrysothamnus nauseosus). However, there are many subspecies.
Could also be Chysothamnus parryi (also having numerous subspecies) at the higher elevations such as Cripple Creek and Estes Park.
Our most abundant is the former and it has a wide amplitude over the landscape. But not finding it in abundance in Colorado Springs proper isn't surprising given major growth and construction the past few years. Native shrub communities are generally eliminated with tract housing and ballfields. Grasses being used as a replacement on the roadsides as new streets are constructed is the norm.

o

I like snakeweed. It has spikes of tiny yellows blooms. The flowers are very fragrant. The plant is a low growing bush. I haven't seen it get more than about thirty inches tall. It rounds itself out beautifully, when left to its own devices. The foliage is rather ferny looking. It self-seeds readily. It seems to be perennial.

o

Most people I talk to refer to the rabbit bushes as 'chamisa.' And yes, they are quite spectacular in autumn, particularly to newcomers who aren't accustomed to seeing them. We have a couple in our front yard that I planted as very young plants, and they are HUGE now.
I'm sure I've seen snakeweed, but there seems to be a number of smaller native plants here with yellow/golden flowers, so I'm not sure which of those would be the snakeweed. But they're all great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here