Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
passiflora 'ruby glow' vine

Posted by desertratgardener nv (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 23:33

I am planning to plant a passion vine on a southwest facing trellis this fall. The plant has 2 blooms right now and appears to be fairly healthy. I am wondering if this spot is appropriate and if it will survive the summer sun (zone 8). The trellis gets full sun from about 1pm until sundown with minimal filtration from some nearby fruit trees. Any knowledge regarding these vines (ie pruning, fertilizing, etc.) would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: passiflora 'ruby glow' vine

in my very limited experience, passion vine does well in sunny spots,... I've seen it doing well in zone 9-10, so it would probably be ok in 8, too? ( http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53806/ ) I wish I could give you more info... sorry!

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 18:19

Passiflora adores sun and heat so your site should be no problem. Water regularly, deep soaking not shallow. They flower more with fertilizer and some liquid iron.

Enjoy the butterflies - they are the sole food of the Gulf Fritillary!

o

I don't know about 'Ruby Glow', but my experience with other Passifloras indicates afternoon shade wherever the summer highs go much over 100 F. Good luck! : ]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here