Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavender like plants..

Posted by Buckster z8 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 04 at 0:27

Howdy,

I'm looking for plants that are alot like lavender. Something that blooms in late May and June and can be used to make wreaths and crafts. I really want stuff that is drought tolerant. I'm zone 8 So. Cal.

Thanks a ton,

Bucky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavender like plants..

Are you looking for other plants that require the same conditions or plants that 'Look' like lavender? I don't understand the question I guess....

Vera

o

You might try gray santolina, AKA lavender cotton. Not a lavender, but has gray-ish foliage, and little yellow flowers. I never planted one until last year, so I'm not sure when it's supposed to bloom. It's drought and heat-tolerant, too. I have heard that planting it around your house will keep the flies away, but I don't know if that's true. If you look in almost any herb book, it will have info about santolina, and may even have something about using it in crafts.

Hyssop did well in my hot, dry climate last year, and I think it bloomed at the right time for you. It's an herb, also. Has pretty purple-ish flowers. You can use it in all kinds of crafts. Rosemary may not bloom when you like, but it's a great plant that takes alot of heat and drought. Smells heavenly, too. For others that do well in an arid climate, and that have decorative uses, you might also check out garden sage, white sage, anise-hyssop, lion's tail (doesn't look like lavender, but heat and drought tolerant and has awesome orange spikey flowers that dry well), curry plant, and Mexican tarragon. I'm not sure if any of this is what you had in mind; hope it helps a little:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray Santolina

o

Hmmm...you know Germander sage, Salvia chamaedryoides might be a good choice? So would chaparral sage, Salvia clevelandii?

Just a couple of suggestions to add to the nice ones you've already received.

Let us know what you decide.
Take care,
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here