Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stompoutbermuda

First freeze tonight for me, anyone else?

stompoutbermuda
14 years ago

We are supposed to have a cold snap until Monday. Sunday night is predicted at 23* WOW, that's cold! I had to go out tonight and cover some of my plants with cardboard boxes and old carpet scraps on others. I brought in a bunch of my potted plants, though I have been doing this the last couple of days so it wasnt that hard tonight. It's 1:30am and instead of being asleep I am worrying about my plants lol!! It is 35* on my east side covered patio and 37* in a very sheltered spot I have on the north west.

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

If you place a string of tiny Christmas lights around the base of the plants. it's usually enough to stave off light frosts.

If it gets a bit colder, the lights plus a cloth cover work pretty well.

• stompoutbermuda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well it only got down to 27* last night for a few hours. Nothing died... I guess that is considered a "light frost"? so what would be considered a hard frost? As for the lights, umm.... I have some in a corner over here ready to go out but I am waiting until next week because that's when my son will be here and we will decorate anyway.

• aquadm
    14 years ago

It sounds like it gets colder where you're at than it does in Vegas. The higher elevations of the Las Vegas valley dipped into the high 30's and lower 40's for lows last night.

• stompoutbermuda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last night was the 2nd night of freezing temps. This one lasted 2x as long and got down to about 28* in a sheltered outside location I have. Apparently there is confusion regarding my Sunset Zone. I live in a microclimate of sunset zone 10 (from what I have been told by the local garden club) but am in Sunset zone 11.

Should I be watering my outside/inground plants? Tonight it is expected to freeze for awhile too. I have read conflicting info on to hydrate or not to hydrate them.... When the days are hovering at about 59* but the nights are getting so cold humidity levels have been around 22% or so..... this is all new to me, I am a recent transplant to this climate. Thanks!
    /

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

As long as it isn't going to be too much water for the particular plant, it's better to water in the evening before an expected frost. As the water in the soil starts to turn to ice, it releases a lot of heat, which will help protect the foliage above. Just don't try to water cactus every night for 3 nights in a row!

Sunset zone 11 covers a lot of different microclimates. Sometimes the only difference between zone 11 and zone 10 is which side of the Colorado River you're on! Sometimes you'll be able to grow 11 plants, sometimes 10 plants, and sometimes you're looking at zone 2. Go figure.

Best of luck, stomp,
    Kevin : )

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

Interesting about the water. We are headed towards our first frost tonight..31. then 25 the next night with snow. It is Dec.4th. I tucked in my veg garden and covered up my aloes. Some are starting to bloom. Brought in my gardens. Only my potted brugs remain out side. I need to get them in or pulled up by my building.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

My beans suffered last night, but tonight it's supposed to be colder.

I'm going to let the chard and spinach fend for themselves, and protect some peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants.

• aquadm
    14 years ago

Had my first freeze a couple nights ago.... First night not much leaf damage. Second night, frosted the tops of my tomato, banana, and bougainvillea plants. It's finally raining in Las Vegas today. I can't remember the last time it rained...LOL:)

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

First freeze night before last. We had minimal damage on our hibiscus, in our neighborhood, and no other problems, even though the weather service didn't give us enough warning to cover! They changed their prediction from 42 deg. to 39 deg. about 9:00 pm! I know that 39 isn't freezing, but the joke around here is that the thermometer at the airport is gimmicked by the Chamber of Commerce--that station has the coolest summers and the warmest winters of anywhere in the Valley of the Sun. Had a very light frost last night, too.

Hope this heralds a wet winter for us!
    Kevin : )

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner