Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeking a Yucca Elata from Appalachia

Posted by mountain_grown Z7 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 9:16

Can anyone direct me to a mail order source for this plant.
Its the state flower of New Mexico and is a desert yucca plant.
I live in Tennessee in a cold and wet winter climate due to elevation yet its the only desert yucca that can survive here.
A friend visited Albuquerque back in 02 or 03 and got me a 5 gallon potted plant. Today it has almost 4 feet of trunk and a beautiful full crown but I sold my home and moved and these cannot be relocated due to a long tap root Ive been told.
I miss that yucca and I hope someone might be able to help me find a replacement . Seeking a little southwest sunshine in my garden again.
A big Thanks from Tennessee Appalachia in Advance !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeking a Yucca Elata from Appalachia

If you are the patient sort, try Mesagarden.com. They have seeds for Y. elata. It is listed under their "other succulents" catagory There are half gallon Y. elatas at Aridlands.com . cactustore.com has 5 and 7 gal. bare root Y. elata., but I don't know about these guys. I have never ordered from them. They look like a good place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mesa Gardens

o

Plants of the Southwest or High Country gardens should have this. Search on the web and good luck. They may have small plants or seed. A call to the cooperative extension office in Las Cruces at NMSU might lead to some sources.

o
thanks

Thanks for taking the time to give me a few places to check.
happy holidays you'all

o

The key for this species is DEEP pots, minimal root disturbance and limiting soil moisture rot.

The plant above with white sand around it probably has a tap root 6 feet deep. I am not kidding. Good luck. I cannot grow these even here in central NM. Some around town are native and grow from seed. Most that are transplanted die, even here.

I hate to say it but this is a tough yucca for you in TN. Good luck, though.

o

Yucca filamentosa L.
When I was growning up in TN and AL we erroneously called it "beargrass".
It resembles yours close enough for a rock garden, with prickly pear it might remind you of AZ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here