Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magalicious_gw

vines in partial shade

magalicious
14 years ago

I've just moved into a house in Tucson. I'd like to plant a vine (flowering if possible) against a wall on the north side of the house. This area gets morning sun about 4-5 hours a day. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Likely candidates would include:

Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens)
    Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)
    Cross Vine (Bignonia capreolata)
    Lavender Trumpet Vine (Clytostoma callistegioides)

And probably several others I can't remember just now.
    Happy shopping!
    Kevin : )

• sandyjohn
    14 years ago

I just want to put in a plug for the Lady Banks rose -- evergreen, multistemmed vine with abundant small flowers in either white or yellow. Thornless.

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Lady Banks' is real nice, but it has a tendency to get mildew in part shade, in my experience. By the way, the white form isn't entirely thornless, though it compensates with a light violet-like fragrance.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

Here are some southwest native choices; Maurandya antirrhiniflora (blue or pink varieties of snapdragon vine), Maurandya barklayanni (big bend snap dragon vine), Lonicera arizonica,Clematis lasianthus, Clitoria mariana. Seeds are available from South West Native Seed in Toucson. I have seed for the Maurandyas.

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Is Clematis lasianthus like C. drummondii in that only the male plants are showy?

Lonicera arizonica appears to be a high elevation plant. Has it been tested in Tucson?

My reading seems to indicate that Maurandya and Clitoria are likely to be frost tender. Have they also been tested in Tucson?

Sorry to seem like such a wet blanket, but I have been bitten by false assumptions on the part of the sales clerk, and my own. I would still ask more questions.

Still quibbling,

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

The maurandyas that I listed grow for me here in 8b just fine. They are frost tender and return from their roots every year for 5 years with a handful of mulch tossed on them.. The pink one was collected in New Mexico, I think. The Clitoria mariana (NOT ternata) that I listed is native through Southern Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma and northward through much of the country. There is always Lonicera sempivirens from the low lands of Texas. I don't live in Tucson so , yes I don't know if they have been tested in Tucson. She was talking about the north side of the house and the plants that you listed looked like they needed a good stream of water to keep them healthy in Tucson,so I thought I might be safe, going out on the limb. I know that Cross vine is native to East Texas through to Florida and is some what drought Tolerant here in central texas, but even here I need to water my vines to keep them healthy through a severely hot and dry summer. The jasmine is the same way here. They are good with heat. I grow without water once things are established since I do not have city water but only rainwater colection, and my ground is very porous. My Jasmine is slow growing in its dry condition but it is still alive.

I always like to recommend some natives just as a counterpoint since so many people just like to overlook them. Some of the vines I mentioned might be a "thin" delicate vine look and not a "thick" vine look..Quibble on, and I will just shut my mouth since I am not from Arizona, LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maurandya antirrhiniflora

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

No need to shut your mouth, wantonamara! If I knew everything about gardening in AZ (much less anywhere else) I wouldn't quibble so much. Being 'satiably curious has it's penalties, as the story implies!

Thanks for the info!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

Hey , if we didn't kill plants we would have to stop acquiring or buy a bigger yard.

Sponsored