Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
expat_gw

Can citrus be espaliered?

Expat
21 years ago

I want to grow blood oranges and pomelas on the wall of my house. Can it be done and how? I am in Sunset zone 13.

Comments (6)

• Field
    21 years ago

I, too, have been waiting for someone with local experience to answer your question. But it's been futile, hasn't it?

I have no experience like this because we can't grow citrus trees here, but I have seen them espaliered in Italy, so I'm certain it can and is being done. Go for it.

• sheepdip
    21 years ago

I found a very informative website for espaliering (see below). It indicates that citrus is a good choice for this and I hope it is helpful to you. It's too cold here to grow citrus outdoors, but I'm having good success with a lemon tree in a pot on my sun porch. Have actually harvested two crops (3 lemons one year and 5 this year!) but I would so much love to have a grove of *real* trees in my yard. Maybe I should consider citrus bonsai, ha ha.

Here is a link that might be useful: Univ. of Florida, Espaliers

• eveheart
    21 years ago

I know this thread is a little older, but I thought I'd answer: Yes, citrus can be espaliered. It doesn't have the same bud-growth pattern as the "typical" espaliered fruit tree, but if you keep snipping out what you don't want, you can get a nice shape. Also, keep in mind that citrus trees love to be leafy, so don't try for a totally flat-against-the-wall stark look. Good luck and have fun! Eve

• mesquite
    21 years ago

No doubt citrus can be espaliered. However, if you are going to locate it on a house wall, I would definitely avoid a west facing exposure as the summer sun's heat would be even more intense from reflecting off the wall. This would probably burn the leaves and possibly the bark. A southeast or east facing wall would be best as this would provide plenty of sun but protection from the intense summer afternoon heat. A direct south exposure might work if you have overhangs on the house as this would provide some shade when the sun was at it's higher (hotter) angles.

Good Gardening!

• ltews
    20 years ago

I live in Phoenix and have a great lemon trelis going and am ready to start a blood orange one next to it. I get more lemons then I know what to do with citrus is very forgiving and hardy so give it a try.

• new2gardenfl
    19 years ago

I have also read that citrus can be espaliered. I would love to see a photo. I have two citrus trees in my small yard and would like more selection, so I am considering multi-grafting other varieties. Has anyone done this before?

Sponsored