Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pavers for lawn (and pee)

Posted by chriso4012 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 15:08

Hi , i'm new so sorry if i'm in the wrong place:
Want to replace my lawn with pavers/ thyme. I know it looks good as a small patio, but does anyone have any idea if this is realistic for a 700 sq ft area? If i space them 8" apart do you think that would cut down on the heat problem? Gets 100 here some days. Also if anyone knows dogs---do you think there would be a dog pee smell problem? ( impregnating the pavers forever)
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pavers for lawn (and pee)

Pavers are wonderful. I have about 13,000 sq. ft. around my home/driveway, etc. However, the pavers and the ground between them will over time develop quite an odor. My dogs (Irish Setter & Yello Lab) have been trained to go potty in a designated area at the corner of our property. I keep a lined trash can and poop bags in the same area. Pickup is once per day. The ground is covered with wood chips. I refresh the wood chips each spring at the same time that we put new chips in the planters. There is still some odor, but not too bad. If you do something like this, choose an area that directs the odor away from your outdoor living area.

o
RE: pavers for lawn (and pee)

I use gypsum to deodorize on grassy areas where the dogs like to pee. It is supposed to neutralize the acid in the urine. It does make a good difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here