Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chamisa pollinators..black???

Posted by cactusgarden 7 Okla (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 15:43

Hi,

I have a large Chamisa that was covered with hundreds and hundreds of swarming black butterfly type insects pollinating the flowers this fall. It was quite a sight! They didn't look like typical butterflies, at least nothing I have seen before. They were about 1/2 inch across and had very black wings. Anybody know what these were? The bush was swarming with them, buzzing around it like crazy and they weren't on anything else, just the Chamisa. I've never seen this in Oklahoma before and wondered if it was common in their native habitat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chamisa pollinators..black???

Around here chamisa is popular with several of the native wasps & bees.
You use the phrase " butterfly type" yet mention "swarming and buzzing". Sounds more like hymenoptera behavior instead of lepidoptera.

o

You're right, now that I think about it, they acted more like bees but didn't fly anything like wasps do around here. They had sort of tear-drop shaped wings that were very opaque and velvety deep black but much wider than a wasp's wings. Their heads were black on the very tip, then bright red with a sort of shoulder part that was yellow with black antennae and black legs. There was a blooming Russian sage close by and they completely ignored it and everything else that was blooming and just seemed frantic over the Chamisa. I tried to post a picture but it was too many DPI or a Jpeg or something and it wouldn't post.

o

Now I'm intrigued.
Your comment on the insects ignoring the Perovskia yet swarming over the chamisa made me think they aren't actively pollinating. There are paper wasps that come close to matching the description you gave. These gals really work Fall blooming plants such as goldenrod and chamisa for those final few larvae and insects of the year. Gotta feed the kids back at the nest you know.
Did you try to post the photo directly from your 'puter or did you go through an online photo site, i.e. Flicker, Photobucket?
Would love to see a photo of the insects and your blooming chamisa. Great plant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here