Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertlvr

southwest zone denial

desertlvr
17 years ago

It happens every year...... I should be happy to garden in Z 8 NM, where it gets cold enough for good fruit production, yet reliably warm enough to support a handful of palm species for a tropical look and feel. I like pushing the envelope where plants are concerned.

Yet each year, by December, I get distracted by zone denial, wishing that it were warmer and more conducive to year round planting, etc. Maybe I need to just get over myself -- or move to southern AZ. What do some of you in Alb./ Las Cruces/ El Paso do to get through until March?

Comments (11)

• Jillofall
    17 years ago

Hey DesertLvr,

I feel your pain. I'm in Colorado and I'm wondering what to do with myself. Yes, there is pruning in the next few months, but I can't get excited about that. I have been considering buying a few conifers since I saw a show about planting a live Christmas tree, but that's about it.

• cactus_dude
    17 years ago

desertlvr-

This is a tough time of year for me too. I love the holidays, and Santa Fe is always beautiful around Xmas, but I still find myself dreaming of having a nice siesta in some warm, sun-drenched palm tree and cactus paradise. Maybe southern Baja or even Tucson, although I think they're getting hit by this cold snap too (albeit not has frigid).

It's even worse for me after the holidays because there's nothing to look forward to for a long time until spring starts to arrive. So I just put on a great Calexico cd and pretend I'm driving through the Sonoran Desert somewhere.

Good luck to you!

cd

• xericgardening
    17 years ago

Lots and lots of seed catalogues.

• desertlvr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cd---- you're on to something. While I also love Santa Fe at Christmas time, the most memorable Xmas trip I've taken was a camping trip to Baja with my partner in the mid 90s. Cactus, palm trees, and ocean. What could be better?
    In the meantime, I'll have to check out a Calexico cd. Thanks for the tip. Best of the season to you. dl.

• cactus_dude
    17 years ago

Hey desertlvr-

Wow, camping in Baja! I've wanted to do that for a long time. Baja is an amazing place for plant diversity, both succulents and xerophytes in general. Lot's of sunshine too!

Calexico is a band from Tucson that plays music that's a little bit Ennio Morricone, mariachi, americana and jazz. It's perfect road music, especially for desert driving. I recommend their albums "The Black Light" and "Hot Rail" Their latest release ("Garden Ruin") is very good too, but a little more mainstream sounding.

cd

• desertlvr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, cd, just ordered Calexico CDs that you suggested. I feel a road trip to Tucson comin' on!!! In the meantime, 'Landscape Plants for Dry Regions' by Jones and Sacamano is getting a bit dog eared.
    dl

• cactus_dude
    17 years ago

desertlvr-

Cool, let me know how those cd's work out for you. Happy New Year.

cd

• desertlvr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I like Calexico a lot. With the unusual winter we are having in NM, I am needing to get out to Tucson soon, to visit friends, escape the cold, and wonder why I ever left Tucson in the first place.....dl

• mamamia
    17 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, my mom knows a guy from Hawaii who moved to Pennsylvania because the weather in Hawaii is "boring" to him. He's probably sick of seeing tropical hibiscus and bougainvillea. I also know one woman who lives in a zone 11 who would love to grow crape myrtles but can't because it is too humid there. They grow like weeds here and no one wants them. It makes me laugh because sometimes I want plants I can't have, but after this cold spell, I won't spend the money trying to baby them.

• cactus_dude
    17 years ago

Hi dl-

Yes, this is one of those winters isn't it? Soon I'll be living in Tucson, so I'm happy about that.

I'm glad you like Calexico. My favorite songs are "Minas de Cobre", "Over Your Shoulder", "El Picador" and "Ballad of Cable Hogue".

cd

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

Try growing indoor plants, like Sans. African violets, cactus and succulents. There are many varieties, and people will exchange plants with you. There are several very active forums.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting