Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Near record size cottonwood in Albuquerque

Posted by fabaceae_native (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 9:59

Not too much action on this forum lately... I hope this generates some... :)

Has anybody seen the giant tree along the Griegos Ditch right in Albuquerque? Apparently it came pretty close to being a national record a few years back, but apparently there is a tree in Farmington, one in Texas, and another (the biggest of all) in Arizona that all got more points in the rating system. Maybe I'll check this local out next time I'm in town...

Any other notable plant specimans around that we should know about (the date palm along Central is one of my favorites)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Near record size cottonwood in Albuquerque

I'm going to be in the Alb. area in a week or so, I'm going to find this tree!

o

Where is the date palm on Central? I'll have to check it out when I'm in town next week. We have a couple of true date palms at our place in a protected location in Mesilla, NM (just west of Las Cruces), but I didn't think they could survive an Alb. winter without protection.

o

Yeah, Albuquerque is apparently a lot milder than some people think (see all the posts over the years regarding Albuquerque palms, olives, saguaros, and climate data)

The date palm is growing in the Nob Hill area against the wall on the north side, and is very visible from the street. It's been mentioned on posts from a couple years back, and the location might be given there, but I'm so unfamiliar with the street names that I don't want to attempt a guess. It's really not much to look at, but very cool just because it's there and gets no protection, or any other care from what I can tell. I wonder how much dieback it is experiencing right now with the arctic blast (low of 8 degrees last night in Albuquerque).

By the way, if you ever see it, maybe you could verify if it is really a true date palm, or in fact a canary island date palm. People on this forum have thought both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here