Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Mints in NM

Posted by dr_thunda Albuquerque, NM (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 11:29

Any tips on growing mints? Spearmint, Peppermint, the various orange/chocolate mints, etc. We have a few small indoor plants and they've managed to stay alive (they are pretty well taken care of), but dont really seem to be growing. Is it just the climate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Mints in NM

The NUMBER 1 AND MOST IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT FOR GROWING MINT IS MAINTAINING A MOIST SOIL. Light and soil is not important although deep shade creates very leggy plants. Because mint grows by underground stems, it is invasive so it is best to restrict the growing area by surrounding it with a 10 -12 inch deep barrier in the soil. If you have light or heavy soil, amend the soil with organic material.

o

I've found that growing mint anywhere is a lot easier than growing a lot of other plants in NM or anywhere in the desert.
In Santa Fe, I let some mint get away from me, and it invaded the rest of my garden.
Follow the instructions above by putting in a barrier if you want it in a bed. But be careful even with a barrier. Instead of going UNDER the barrier, mint may well go OVER the barrier and send a volunteer out to invade the rest of your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert and Waterwise Gardens

o

I had trouble with mint for awhile because I let it get too dry and it just wouldn't survive. If you have a garden environment that is well maintained though, it should do well. I finally had much success by planting my spearmint under fig trees that I planted in very large urns. They get enough moisture as they're watered regularly and by season two have quadrupled in size with no concern for invasiveness since they are potted. I never had much luck with smaller pots because it still wasn't moist enough.

o

This is not a mint climate, unless you are in a wet part of the state. Good luck.

o

Yes, mint grows TOO well here for me in Albuquerque! I have to keep pulling, chopping & placing edging around the various mints. Some are on the north side of a south block wall (shady) but most just in open herb beds. I have chocolate mint, herba buena, catmint, etc. & they all can get out of bounds without careful watching once established so you shouldn't have any trouble ... I am in zone 7 in Albuquerque.

o

Hi,I would love to grow some mint to make jelly but an not sure as to what type to grow. Does anyone have a good recipe for mint jelly? Can you use any kind of mint for this purpose? I live in Mesa, AZ and I think it is zone 9. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here