Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dr_thunda

Growing Mints in NM

dr_thunda
15 years ago

Any tips on growing mints? Spearmint, Peppermint, the various orange/chocolate mints, etc. We have a few small indoor plants and they've managed to stay alive (they are pretty well taken care of), but dont really seem to be growing. Is it just the climate?

Comments (6)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

The NUMBER 1 AND MOST IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT FOR GROWING MINT IS MAINTAINING A MOIST SOIL. Light and soil is not important although deep shade creates very leggy plants. Because mint grows by underground stems, it is invasive so it is best to restrict the growing area by surrounding it with a 10 -12 inch deep barrier in the soil. If you have light or heavy soil, amend the soil with organic material.

• agricola1
    15 years ago

I've found that growing mint anywhere is a lot easier than growing a lot of other plants in NM or anywhere in the desert.
    In Santa Fe, I let some mint get away from me, and it invaded the rest of my garden.
    Follow the instructions above by putting in a barrier if you want it in a bed. But be careful even with a barrier. Instead of going UNDER the barrier, mint may well go OVER the barrier and send a volunteer out to invade the rest of your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert and Waterwise Gardens

• humster
    14 years ago

I had trouble with mint for awhile because I let it get too dry and it just wouldn't survive. If you have a garden environment that is well maintained though, it should do well. I finally had much success by planting my spearmint under fig trees that I planted in very large urns. They get enough moisture as they're watered regularly and by season two have quadrupled in size with no concern for invasiveness since they are potted. I never had much luck with smaller pots because it still wasn't moist enough.

• flattie
    14 years ago

This is not a mint climate, unless you are in a wet part of the state. Good luck.

• vieja_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, mint grows TOO well here for me in Albuquerque! I have to keep pulling, chopping & placing edging around the various mints. Some are on the north side of a south block wall (shady) but most just in open herb beds. I have chocolate mint, herba buena, catmint, etc. & they all can get out of bounds without careful watching once established so you shouldn't have any trouble ... I am in zone 7 in Albuquerque.

• vegiesforme
    14 years ago

Hi,I would love to grow some mint to make jelly but an not sure as to what type to grow. Does anyone have a good recipe for mint jelly? Can you use any kind of mint for this purpose? I live in Mesa, AZ and I think it is zone 9. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. :)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz