Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgv_garden_guy

Fraser Photinia - Any thoughts?

RGV_Garden_Guy
19 years ago

Anyone out there have any experience with Frasier Photinias? I've heard them referred to as Red Tipped Photinias as well but the tag on the plant I bought had the first name. I've seen them quite a bit around the San Antonio area. I'm planning on putting them in the ground in late January after the threat of a frost or freeze passes.

I consulted a Texas gardening book and it recommended against them citing a limited lifespan and prone to disease and wind damage.

Any thoughts?

Comments (4)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

I have used the plant for many years ...

Not in Texas though but in Southern Nevada .. It is not a xerophyte .. and since you posted this in the xerophyte forum I assume you are going to use it that way .. I think that would be a mistake.

It prefers a organic soil NOT a mineral soil .. watch out for reflected heat from nearby walls or stone mulch .. a rich moist organic soil will help manage Iron deficiencies that out here at least are prevalent in members of the Rose family .. as Photinia is .. due to our high pH soils. They like sun but would do best with an organic surface surrounded by cooler surfaces such as grass.

Wind can be a big problem for tree forms ... shrubs less of a problem due to the low profile ... I have noticed they need a season sometimes two to get situated and then grow rapidly ... letting shrub forms grow without pruning results in lanky growth as will shade ... cut back with hand pruners or shears followed by hand pruners to remove cut leaves or stub cuts ... in very early spring or end of winter. The plants can easily be reduced to half their size without ill effect .. they can grow several feet in a season when established and happy. Best with a moist soil. Later in age is when Iron problems begin to show ... effected leaves can be removed and the best bet is addition of organic materials and some deep watering ...Iron chelates can also be added.

Although considered borderline here in Southern Nevada due to heat and soil pH they perform rather well when plant location is selected with some care .. ALTHOUGH tree forms here have been very difficult to establish in my own experience and are a rare sight here in the valley. If a tree form is desired in windy hot areas in may be best to start as shrub and in time prune into a tree ... but select a wind protected site.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good Day ...

• ruthieg__tx
    19 years ago

I'm in the Texas Hill Country around Kerrville and I too see them all over this area...and Boerne and as you said all around San Antionio.

• txmeggie
    19 years ago

Chinese photinia is recommended instead of Frasier or Red Tip Photinia. It is much more disease resistant. It looks and grows similarly. It needs very little water once establshed; grows quickly in sun.

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

I planted a couple of red-tipped Photinia when I arrived in NM. One died within a year. The other hung on, but looked unhealthy. I decided to give it a few handfuls of peat moss, in case it needed more acidity. That did the trick. The bush perked up within a few days. Now it gets a dose of peat twice a year.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!