Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I grow dwarf coconut in a greenhouse?

Posted by BlackieRat sonoran desert (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 14:17

I would like to grow coconut to harvest. I have sun and heat, but need humidity. Does anyone know if it would be possible to grow dwarf coconut in a greenhouse in the desert?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I grow dwarf coconut in a greenhouse?

I would say you could certainly grow the plant (I've seen plenty of potted coconut palms growing in less than ideal conditions) but getting it to produce would be another story. I've found this generally to be the case with so many tropical fruiting plants: that growing them may not present much trouble, but getting them to flower, cross-pollinate, and bear fruit that is tasty and worth the trouble, is something different entirely.

Can you provide the right environmental conditions not only for the plant to thrive, but for the whole flowering, pollination, fruiting process to happen, which I assume takes several years in this species? And do you have the space and the patience to be able to wait many years for this thing to produce a coconut as your reward?

So in short, though there are many aspects to this that might not be feasible for you, it could still be an interesting experiment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here